Toilet not closing/shutting off

Bryced15

Hi all, our toilet in our Landmark Newport won't shut off properly on its own. When flushing, the half "ball" (don't know what to call it) that opens in the bottom of the toilet won't close all the way when releasing the flush pedal, which causes the water to continually run until you pull up on the flush pedal with your foot. The problem seems to be that the half "ball" in the toilet bowl doesn't seem to be gliding smoothly on the rubber seal. I've diligently wiped down the rubber seal and ball to try to clean the area, but this hasn't helped. I thought about putting some sort of lubricant on the rubber seal, but didn't know if that was the best idea or not. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

rxbristol

Some have had success, with various methods, to get the Thetford to seal, but I never did. Others, like myself, have gone ahead and replaced the OEM Thetford with a Dometic 310 or 320. Nice thing about the Dometic is its seal can be replaced without taking the toilet apart.

danemayer

If you have a Thetford, it might be the mechanism the pedal attaches to. Unfortunately, if it is that, the bottom half of the toilet has to be replaced. If in warranty, Thetford may send you a new toilet. Price of the lower half will probably be about what it costs for a new Dometic 310.

jbeletti

Bryce - are you still in TN? If so, if you want to drive over tomorrow to Crossville (Friday) or by noon Saturday, I can give you a brand new Thetford toilet. I only needed a seal and they sent me the seal and a whole new toilet!

Bryced15

Bryce - are you still in TN? If so, if you want to drive over tomorrow to Crossville (Friday) or by noon Saturday, I can give you a brand new Thetford toilet. I only needed a seal and they sent me the seal and a whole new toilet!
Jim, that's very generous of you! I have to work today, but I might possibly be able to do that Saturday morning. I'll have to check with the wife and see if we have anything going on. I'll let you know.

stesmi52

My previous rig's manual says to use cooking oil as lubricant. Worked on mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim, that's very generous of you! I have to work today, but I might possibly be able to do that Saturday morning. I'll have to check with the wife and see if we have anything going on. I'll let you know.

Cool - I emailed you my address and cell phone number. Call or text me if you plan to take a ride out tomorrow morning. We're in the central time zone, so that may be in your favor. We head to Nashville after lunch and will be out of town for a week - hence the timing.

Crumgater

We have the same issue every spring after the seal dries out over winter... a bit of lubricant (I think DH puts vaseline on it) and it works like a charm again.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have the same issue every spring after the seal dries out over winter... a bit of lubricant (I think DH puts vaseline on it) and it works like a charm again.

I ensure there is enough RV antifreeze to cover the toilet flapper and protect the seal while in winter storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue and we discovered that my wife was using bleach to clean the toilet had to dump some cooking oil in it and works like new. Bleach and pine-sol, harmful to rubber.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are several RV help threads that say to spray the rubber seal and 'ball' with Pledge furniture polish and it will make it seal again.

aatauses

We spray our with spray cooking oil about once every two weeks or so. You may also have a weak return spring, not too bad to replace.
al