Suggestions for pet ramps?

Hi all -

We travel with our 2 kids (11 year old labs) that both have hip problems and can't use the steps to get in or out of the TV or trailer (Big Country 3450TS). We have a extendable ramp for them now, but it's really hard on their feet, and this morning Luke fell off the ramp trying to go down it.

So, we're looking for suggestions on new ramps or other solutions people have come up with for this.

Thanks in advance,
Jon & Kathy

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We tried two. This is what works for our 11 ( 12 in March) year old. The first one was too slippery, too short, and too narrow.

szewczyk_john

Last weekend at the Martinsville race I was camping a few spots away from a couple in a class a that traveled with 2 american bull dogs. These guys had the biggest chest and shoulders I have ever seen on bulldogs but they also had the shortest little legs. Those 2 bulldogs and my 3 boxers had some fun but back to your question. The guy had a pair 2x12s 8 foot long that was wrapped in cheap outdoor green carpeting. On the end that attached to his step he had a ramp like the ones used for making tailgate ramps. I asked him about it and he claimed that with the bulldogs he had tried various ramps and that the lumber was the easiest, lightest and cheapest thing that he had found. His dogs didn't need the ramp for old age but rather because of how short their legs were. He just carried the lumber in an underneath storage area laid the tailgate end at the top of the first step and his dogs would use it to get into the class A. the ramp pieces are here but I have seen them at many stores:http://www.jegs.com/i/Bully/684/CG-...2&cadevice=c&gclid=CKv2nZThgMkCFVORHwod9KIG3w

684-CG-20.jpg

porthole

Retired
With our previous Goldens we used a telescoping ramp. None of them like the noise it made on the non skid, but it made for an easier climb into the RV or even the back porch of the house.
We currently are not using it but figure we will be - it is only a matter of time.

I think I like this product. Looks to be a little easier to manage and the dogs should have a better time going down, since they should not be able to see any gaps descending.

http://petloader.com/

I saw a demo on RVHaulers website.
Looks to be a good product with some adjustability as well.

Thanks Dave & Amy. This is what we're using now. It's not bad, they don't like the feeling on their feet (delicate babies that they are), and one fell off while I was helping the other. I think we may end up trying to put something like astro turf over it to make it more comfortable.

Jon

- - - Updated - - -

The nice thing about this is that I could make it as long as needed to keep the angle down. Thanks for the info!

Jon

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. This one looks interesting. Clay, the one with the worst hip problem, can't do stairs without being supported all the way up, but if the angle is low enough, I might be able to help him up.

Jon

pegmikef

This is similar to the one we used after our shepherd/husky developed arthritis in her hips and could not do stairs very well. Worked well for both getting into the rig and getting into the truck. It collapses and I just hauled it in the back of the truck. We put two or three rubber backed bath mats on it as her feet couldn't get good traction on the sand textured surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Herzhers-1...pebp=1447010475632&perid=070JC75M74FH8K50J6X1

Jv75353

This is similar to the one we used after our shepherd/husky developed arthritis in her hips and could not do stairs very well. Worked well for both getting into the rig and getting into the truck. It collapses and I just hauled it in the back of the truck. We put two or three rubber backed bath mats on it as her feet couldn't get good traction on the sand textured surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Herzhers-1...pebp=1447010475632&perid=070JC75M74FH8K50J6X1

Ditto on this ramp we use it on our Cyclone 4000 to go from the garage side door to a 10x20 foot covered run we set up next to the unit. We cut a 2x4 that fits firmly into the folded up stairs that the ramp attaches to. The dogs love it they can go in and out when they want to and the ramp is very stable. The picture shows "Shirley" using the ramp.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 71
Consider the ramps on discountramps.com............I had a wobbly knee and couldn't manage the steep steps on our North Trail and found this site through Google.......great ramps - arrived in just 2 days - folds up nicely for riding in the truck and it works for me and for our little ""girls"" too!!! They run right up the ramp and no problem.

Thanks for the info. Sadly, we've lost both of our boys on 12/29. They went downhill very quickly. We haven't been able to bear the thought of even taking the trailer back out since then, it just seems so empty without them.

RIP Clay and Luke, we'll see you again someday.

GOTTOYS

Sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine loosing two at the same time. Old Mags went pretty quick a few years ago and we still miss her. We did get another pup. She's 3 now and still a handful. Our life would never be the same without a dog....Good luck...Don

Thanks Don. They were litter mates and always together, even at the end. We'll get another one one of these days. We spent the last 12 years doing everthing around the four legged kids - it's the reason we bought a trailer - so they could travel with us. So we have a trip to Hawaii that we're going to take first and get out of our system, then be backed to being owned by our dogs.
Jon

Ladiver

Jon,

I am sorry for your loss. I could not imagine losing two at the same time either. We have our Kodie who is getting up there in age. We also added a ramp to make sure she can enjoy every trip we take.

Enjoy your trip to Hawaii. Remember that if/when you get another dog, you are never going to be replacing Clay or Luke. Those guys will always be in your heart. You will just be adding more to the family.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. You're right - we never look to replace, we just welcome a new addition and enjoy them for what the are and give us.

Jon

RottsNScotts

Thanks! They are good dogs.

Abby will be 12 years old in about 3 weeks so I know the bad day is coming in our household as well.

Someone said something that made things a little easier to accept. "we only have them part of our lives, but they have us for all of theirs." I liked the idea that they had a loving home for all of their lives.

Jon

Well, so much for waiting until we had our Hawaii trip. We've now adopted 2 rescue labs, Daisy a 6 yr old black lab and Rosie, a 8 yr old chocolate. We'll still be going to HI, but these two have brought the love and activity we were missing. I think Luke and Clay helped lead us to them, and I think they approve.
thegirls.jpg