Winterizing Lg refrigerator ice maker 2015 cyclone 4100 king

Winterized my unit today couldn't find any info on line (web) on how to winterize an ice maker. Called my local dealer they stated to disconnect the infeed line and drain it. This would be fine for the water up to the valve located in the rear of the unit, after the valve and up to the ice maker would still be full of water which would result in freeze damage. So I called LG that was a joke, got 2 different techs not from the US they stated to do the same thing as my local dealer stated to do drain the line and if I wanted to go further to pull the refrigerator out drain the valve and the lines by disconnecting all lines from the valve unit. I figured this out before I talked with them, not so easy to do. To make a long story short I removed the ice tray and lower tray out of the freezer it's a French door with bottom freezer. I then took a mirror and found a test button near the front of the ice maker about 1/2" from the front on the underside, pushed it and out came the antifreeze, its a button that opens the valve for a cycle, only took 2 cycles and it was winterized. I'll do the same to dewinterized next spring a few cycles and the antifreeze will be gone.

cdensomnia

Yep! I had the same experience. I have the LG french door and couldn't figure out how to do it until i finally got down under the ice maker and saw the same button. It was very easy and no need to take the line loose. One thing i read was to not put antifreeze in the ice maker waterline. That line is not pex and has a history of leaving a bad taste come the next season. Just thought i would let you know as i used the compressed air method.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

danemayer

The Heartland User Guide section of the forum has a number of owner-written manuals, including one on the Residential Refrigerator. Among other things, it provides some direction on how to winterize the ice maker and water feed. While based on the Frigidaire unit, the procedure is similar on LG and others. You can find the guide by using the earlier link, or by clicking on TOOLS at top of the page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides.

cdensomnia

I saw that guide too. But with my unit it wasnt even close to what really needed performed.

danemayer

I saw that guide too. But with my unit it wasnt even close to what really needed performed.

If you'd like to take some pictures of the relevant differences on your LG, and write a few words about the differences from the User Guide, we can incorporate your information into the guide.

IronJ

Same unit here and the online guides are no help for our fridges...first time I left the compressor on 40psi for 2 days and it blew out the lines...then I found the switch...

And pink should never go in the ice maker line ...it's not Pex and will never lose the horrid antifreeze taste due to the composition of line...i think it's vinyl or polypropylene line. ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk