Lakeshore RV

sJv

Hello folks,

In general, I had heard good things about these guys, and have had good conversations with John at Lakeshore. I ended up ordering a Sundance from him, which Lakeshore should be getting next week some time. I am about 2200 miles from Michigan. I could take the time off to pick it up, but I would be alone and it would be a grind as I would have to do it in about a week. I am also new to pulling a 5th wheel. I figure I would only save about $1000 over the delivery price, which isn't really worth my time. However, the major downside is I won't be there for the PDI and have any issues resolved before I take delivery. There are a couple of folks over at rv.net who were glad they were there to take delivery as Lakeshore did a shoddy PDI. Now I am worried.

Has anyone had their RV delivered from Lakeshore and were pleased with the condition? Should I burn through a week of my valuable vacation time or take the risk on the delivery?

-steve

jcd8822

Joseph
LOL.....I saw the title Lakeshore RV and thought you were talking about Lakeshre RV Park on the northern shore of Lake Michigan on the UP in St. Ignace. That is where we are going next week to spend the summer. We stayed there all summer last year. It is a great place to stay. In fact it is just about the only park on the UP of Michigan that can handle large rigs.

Joseph
Sealy, TX

Rickhansen

We purchased our '09 3670 through Lakeshore RV and had it delivered to us in North Carolina in December '07. I'm not sure the savings over their delivery charge would warrant the lost time to go get it. Everything went smoothly, communication with the driver was good, it was a few hours later than Lakeshore had told us, and there was no problems with the rig.

You're right about the lack of a PDI. The driver pulled it onto our site, helped us level and extend the slides, got his signatures and left us with our new toy. Lakeshore was supposed to do their own inspection before it left their dealership, and we were comfortable with that.

We'd do it the same way again, if we were to do it again.

sJv

You're right about the lack of a PDI. The driver pulled it onto our site, helped us level and extend the slides, got his signatures and left us with our new toy. Lakeshore was supposed to do their own inspection before it left their dealership, and we were comfortable with that.

We'd do it the same way again, if we were to do it again.

Rick and Jan, that helps ease the mind a bit. Thanks! Do you think Lakeshore did a reasonable PDI before it left their lot?

-steve

Rickhansen

Steve,
I don't know. I would think that if they did, they would have left some sort of a completed checklist, which they did not. I would also hope Heartland is doing a very good inspection prior to it leaving the factory. I can only tell you that we've had very few issues in the 6 months, and I've been able and enjoyed fixing them myself. That's always the best way to know it's done to your satisfaction, and to learn about your rig.

The only disappointment I felt with the Lakeshore RV deal is that once we placed our order and sent our payment, what had been good communication stopped, except to arrange delivery. I had to call repeatedly and nag them to get any other answers from that point. (We had a satellite dish added at the dealership and purchased an extended warranty)

I would have thought that a phone call from John, our salesman, the day of our delivery and a week or so later to ask how everything was, wouldn't have been too much to ask. It would have contributed some "feel good" to the deal.

TessaM

Past California Central Chapter Leader
Lakeshore

3 times I called them (answering machine of course), twice I emailed. They phoned once when we were out. Will be buying elsewhere.:confused:

Milder

Purchasing from Lakeshore RV

Hello Steve,

I ordered a 2009RK about 6-7 weeks ago from John at Lakeshore and recieved it this past Friday. I spent the last two days going over the entire unit. I would say that it was about a 2000 mile trip here to Arizona and it was in mint shape upon arrival. I only had two issues, one was the front jacks would not work, however I later found a inline 30amp fuse that had blown. Secondly it appears that the spare tire carrier may have been mounted incorrectly at the factory causing the tire to ride off center and cut into the sidewall. John has been contacted reference the issue and im waiting for a response.

My wife and I found the same unit to be about $**** more at the local dealership here in our area!

We would strongly reccomend Lakeshore to everyone. :)

Scott

Admin note: No trailer pricing on the forum please - per rules :)

sJv

3 times I called them (answering machine of course), twice I emailed. They phoned once when we were out. Will be buying elsewhere.:confused:

I had the best luck calling John's (who handles Heartland sales) cell phone directly: 231-740-6225.

Justin at RV Capital Wholesalers was nice to work with, and their prices were similar.

Rick,

Thanks for the information. I agree, information doesn't flow as well once the sale is made, but John is very cheerful and helpful when I do get ahold of him. From conversations with him, it sounds like they are a small team and VERY busy. It would be nice if he was more pro-active in giving me updates, but as long as I can get ahold of him and he is friendly, that works for me. I will ask him for their PDI sheet on my 2800RLs when they go through it. I want to know of any issues they found and what they corrected before they ship it out to me.

-steve

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Getting these people to return a phone call is like pulling teeth. I paid cash for the trailer and I've paid cash for any additions that I've made on it...and I have yet for them to call me to give me any kind of an update or status...and the trailer is supposed to be delivered here, Saturday morning.

I also paid extra for a setup and on site PDI here in Virginia. I'll let you know what happens and how happy I am with them when this is over. I cannot beat the price...a local dealer quoted me a price substantially higher than Lakeshore...and that's after getting it trucked out here.

sJv

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I hope the spare tire mounting issue is an isolated case and you have a quick resolution to it. Let me know how it goes.

Lefty,

Can you elaborate on the on site PDI? I was not aware of this, other than a quick going over by the delivery person. I figure any issues I find upon delivery will either have to be fixed by myself, or a local dealer. I am not expecting the delivery person to know much about fixing trailers!

-steve

caokgafamily

SJV,
I bought a 07 3400 RL from lakeshore about 1.5 years ago. Everything went great they are a great company to deal with. But if I had it to do over again I would have done my own PDI. I have a issue with some bulges, seams showing in the filon side wall. It's just cosmetic but I would have picked another 3400. I have had no other issues with our 3400. I contacted Heartland and they said where to take it to, to get it fixed, its about 80 miles north of us. I havn't had the time to take it up there. We spend to much time camping about 18 trips since the purchase. When the 3400 showed up it was night time, we were excited and sent the guy on his way since this wasn't our first fiver.

grizzlygiant

I bought my BH 3400 from Lakeshore last fall and drove 2200 miles home with it. Once they had cash in hand communication stopped. I did the PDI with them at their facility and it was difficult to get them top stay with the job and get it done. The dealer add-ons were poorly done and in the case of the washer-dryer, could not be remidied. I probably would buy elsewhere next time altho I did save a bunch of $$$ over local purchase.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Sly,
I paid $100 for an onsite setup and PDI/ According to John, the people that they use to deliver their trailers are very knowledgeable about the product.

Just the same, I"ll either have to fix it or take it to the local dealer.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Lakeshore

I agree with others. Lakeshore was good untill they received our money. Once Lakeshore had the cash John did not even recognize us even thought we have not left their dealership. Their walk through in our opinion left a lot to be desired.
Their price was good.
Regards
Wayne

Milder

Hi Steve,

Matt at Lakeshore RV's sevice department indicated that the winch was installed incorrectly and too far aft of the supports. I will have to remount the winch forward and center it between the tire carrier, which is no big deal. He also indicated that he was sending me a new spare tire, due to original being damaged by the carrier.

So far they have taken care of business!

sJv

Thanks for the responses so far. It will be interesting to see what I get! My 2800RLS is due to come off the assembly line this friday, so Lakeshore should be doing the PDI on Monday, and possibly ship it out tues or wed. So far I can't complain about my experiece with Lakeshore. While John may not be proactive in keeping me up to date, I can almost always get ahold of him and he is very cheerful and helpful on the phone. He will fax me the completed PDI sheet showing what was checked and fixed. I"m keeping my fingers crossed!

Scott - thanks for the update. I'm glad it's worked out for you.

Now, hopefully, my frame will have been properly powder coated and not rusty! :)

-steve

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
My delivery has slipped again...now, its next weekend. I could not get a return phone call from John. Finally ran him down this morning and he could not give me a status on the prep or add-ons for my trailer. So, now, it's next weekend. I'm not really happy with them right now.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lakeshore RV-Tomorrow will tell the tale

Has anyone had their RV delivered from Lakeshore and were pleased with the condition? Should I burn through a week of my valuable vacation time or take the risk on the delivery?

-steve

As it stands, this minute and just for me, I could not recommend Lakeshore RV for either sales or service. The sales is fast, quick, and almost painless. However AFTER the sales, they don't know who you are.
You can call sales all day long, after you pay, and you may go to or three days without a return phone call. They tell you nothing about their internal methods of operation. It would seem that after they sell you the rig, you get passed to another part of the company...and that part does not seem to care whether you are happy or not. If it had not been for the dispatcher at the transport company...the trailer would have been here Thursday afternoon without any part of the extras that I paid for, being installed. And, the delivery was supposed to be 2 days later on Saturday. I cannot take delivery anyday of the week except Saturday. It's the only day my family is available to help me check the trailer over.

I am extremely disappointed in Lakeshore. And, it's not like I have not been warned about how they do business. I was. I just could not believe that any company could be that bad and still get the rave reviews that I have seen.

At this point, I really wish they would offer a complete refund. Just return my money, no harm-no foul. Give me my money back and let's go our seperate ways.

No amount of discounts is worth this frustration.

sJv

Lefty,

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with Lakeshore. So far, with my finger's crossed, things have gone smoothly. I only have been dealing with John. He's not that great at returning calls, but I can usually catch him after a couple of tries. He remember's who I am and what I have ordered and is very cheerful and helpful. I had him fax their PDI sheet after it was done, and no problems were shown. We'll see how well this part goes. My 2800RLS was picked up yesterday and should be delivered this weekend sometime. I'll be sure to report how that went.

-steve

sJv

My 2800RLS was picked up yesterday and should be delivered this weekend sometime. I'll be sure to report how that went.
-steve

Well, my 2800RLS was delivered today (sunday). It didn't go without a hitch, though. It appears Lakeshore sent me the wrong 2800RLS (although in the right color)! It's a different VIN than the one I ordered, has options I didn't order and is missing a couple I did! Luckily, the things I wanted are easy enough to change (Euro chairs instead of rockers, and booth dinette instead of table/chairs). I called John on his cell phone and he was very apologetic and will work on shipping me the things I should have had, and I can keep the furniture that came with it. He even called me back a while later saying he had the items that I should have had (sure they do - they are sitting in the coach I ordered!) and can ship them out next week. I can also keep the electric awning and hide-a-bed sofa I didnt' order. Hopefully John remains true to his word.

Lakeshore buyers - be sure the VIN of the unit they are shipping matches the Heartland confirmation sheet!

On the positive side, I've spent a few hours checking things out and have not found ANY issues so far. Tomorrow I'll check out the plumbing systems.

-steve