Oven pilot light won't stay on

bkdance

We have a 2011 magic chef gas oven that we've used a lot in the last four years. Just recently the pilot light won't stay on. It will light while holding the knob in but once the knob is released it goes out. We are hoping to get feedback on what parts may need to be replaced and where we should order the parts. So far we have visited an RV parts store and an RV service department plus spent 25 minutes on the phone with the OEM (most of it on hold with three transfers) to be told we have to take it to an authorized repair center.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

pegmikef

on the old models the thermocoupler would probably be the cause, but I don't know about these new models. Sorry.

porthole

Retired
We have a 2011 magic chef gas oven that we've used a lot in the last four years. Just recently the pilot light won't stay on. It will light while holding the knob in but once the knob is released it goes out. We are hoping to get feedback on what parts may need to be replaced and where we should order the parts. So far we have visited an RV parts store and an RV service department plus spent 25 minutes on the phone with the OEM (most of it on hold with three transfers) to be told we have to take it to an authorized repair center.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like either the thermo couple is bad or just not getting hot enough.

Simple trick to try although not to easy to do. Use a small piece of sandpaper and clean the thermo couple, all around it as much as you can. Light the oven and let the oven come up to temp for 5 minute or so and then see if the pilot will stay lit. The pilot is a real pain to light on our oven, so I usually try and light the main burner. I use a long lighter to get the TC good an hot then try and light the main burner.

farside291

On my old trailer when the gas bottles would get low the pilot lite would not stay lit but the burners on the stove and DSI water heater all worked fine.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Trace the thermocouple wire from the pilot to where it connects to the gas valve. Make sure the connecting nut is tight at the valve. If it has worked loose, even just a little, it might not be making contact at the valve thus not allowing the main burner to open.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Maybe the thermo couple has been hit or moved. Try to look at the position of the burner to the tip of the thermo couple. Might just need a little minor adjustment.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Trace the thermocouple wire from the pilot to where it connects to the gas valve. Make sure the connecting nut is tight at the valve. If it has worked loose, even just a little, it might not be making contact at the valve thus not allowing the main burner to open.
That's what happened on our 2014 San Antonio. Once the nut was tight and a good connection was restored, pilot light worked perfectly.