Can a 2006 Ram 3500 Dually pull a Rushmore safely?

Bust3r

I'm new to the site but I've heard a lot of good things about it and look forward to being a contributor but right now, I just need some advice from those that have been there. I bought this 2011 Rushmore on Christmas eve of last year and have been full timing it since. I don't even have a truck that will move it. I have a friend that helps me out but I need my own truck. I'd like to have a brand new platinum F450 but I don't want to spend the money. There is a 2006 Dodge Ram, with the 5.9l, for sale locally and the price is right but I'm not sure the truck is.. It has around 150k miles. I've run the vin, I've called heartland and well, its soo close that I'm not sure if I should get it or not. The pin weight, according to heartland, for my rig is 2700#s. The dry weight is around 12,400 and the fully loaded rate is 16k(I'm sure you guys already know this). The Rushmore is fully loaded, from what I can tell. Propane gen, 2 a/c, ice maker and I just installed a splendide w/d combo(all in one). Will this 2wd Ram dually do the trick or should I just hold out and buy something more substantial? The reason I ask is that this vehicle, at this price, will not hurt me much at all. If I wait and buy what I want... its going to be a substantial amount of my budget. Thanks for any input from folks with experience and I look forward to being a part of the forum. :)

danemayer

Hi Bust3r,

We have a 2011 Rushmore that's also fully optioned including generator and washer/dryer up front. We load pretty heavily on stuff in the basement storage and in other areas and our actual pin weight was most recently 3,700 lbs. I would have thought most duallies, even older ones, would handle the pin weight. Not sure about GCWR or 5th wheel towing capacity however.

Check out Fifth Wheel Safe Towing for more detail.

davebennington

Bust3r,

Can the 2006 Ram handle the pin weight sure. Other things to consider the 2006 only has a 4 speed transmission and a 5.9 Cummins engine. We now pull a 2015 Landmark/Ashland with a 2006 Ram. Does it pull OK yes, however it when you come to a mountain of size it does bog down a bit. The 2006 Ram only has a 4 speed transmission with the 5.9 Cummins. If I had a choice I would go with the 450 or a Ram 3500 with the new Transmission.
We did pull our "old" Landmark/Golden Gate to Alaska and back with out any problems, but we took our time and went slow.

Good luck with your choice.

dave

caissiel

Go for it and enjoy.
I am heading south with my limping 2005 F250 towing our 3500 RL. The turbo has been leaking oil at the seal, and cannot run above 10 psi and so far we are doing well with 60% power.
The driver is the difference.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have a 2007.5 RAM. Same style truck as the 06 just a different drivetrain. 6.7 cummins with a different transmission. Trailer is around 14.5-15 lbs and pin of 3k. Added airbags. Truck pulls fine. I'm sure the new ones will pull better and have more power, but at just over 27000 miles, I'll keep it for another year or 2.

Good of luck and safe travels.

FJRogers

I was a full timer for four years. I ur rig weighed in at 16500 pounds. In my opinion there is not a better tow rig than the 2006 Drw Ram 3500 Megacab. We pulled this rig throughout the Rockies. Never once wanted or needed more truck. The 5.9 does not deal with the horsepower robbing smog system that the 6.7 does. I have 100K moles on the Truck with no problems. I did add a deep transmission cooling pan. In Tow mode keeping between 60-65 mph I average 12 mpg. I have chipped the truck but only use the mileage & towing settings. With the minor updates I've done to the motor I turn 410 HP at rear wheels. I would not push any more HP, the four speed transmission can't handle any more HP than that.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Lance & Jo

Bust3r,

Can the 2006 Ram handle the pin weight sure. Other things to consider the 2006 only has a 4 speed transmission and a 5.9 Cummins engine. We now pull a 2015 Landmark/Ashland with a 2006 Ram. Does it pull OK yes, however it when you come to a mountain of size it does bog down a bit. The 2006 Ram only has a 4 speed transmission with the 5.9 Cummins. If I had a choice I would go with the 450 or a Ram 3500 with the new Transmission.
We did pull our "old" Landmark/Golden Gate to Alaska and back with out any problems, but we took our time and went slow.

Good luck with your choice.

dave

We have an early 07 with the 5.9 that I bought used with approx 25K mileage. With the exception of going over hwy 70 into Denver where I was looking for a stray Elk to hitch to the front end it has worked well. The weak link has been the transmission and would have it checked out before buying. Now have about 160K on the truck and have been happy with overall performance.

carl.swoyer

Mine pulls perfect with a 2500hd Silverado. Added more leafspring s to the rear. 196000 miles thru grand canyon and Vail pass. Allison transmission is unbelievable. I avg 11 to 12.6 mpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk