Sealant question

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I need some advice from the Heartland Owners on how to best proceed with this. I have a Full Body Paint 2015 Landmark Key Largo. I am starting to notice cracking paint that is over the top of sealant and Dicor. Is this something that I need to be worried about at all? I have attached some pictures:

Here are a couple of the cracking paint around my door

IMG_0074.jpgIMG_0073.jpg

Here are some of where my front and rear caps meet my roof
Rear cap upper center molding sealant cracking (2).JPGRear cap upper center molding sealant cracking.JPGFront upper cap molding cracked sealer (3).JPGFront upper cap molding cracked sealer (2).JPGRear cap upper center molding sealant cracking (3).JPG

And here are some of my security light
Curbside security light (2)[1].JPGCurbside security light.JPGRoadside security light.JPG

My concern is obviously water intrusion. Am I worrying about nothing, or is this something that needs to be addressed. Heartland said that it is purely cosmetic and does not need to be repaired. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing or complaining about what Heartland said, I am looking for feedback from the experts (you all).

My dealer said that it should be painted before any sealant is applied and then the sealant applied over the paint. That way sealant can be removed and reapplied without having a paint void. In order for them to fix all of this, removing the sealant over the door, both security lights and front and rear cap, removing the sealant, repainting those areas and then applying the proper sealant they want $4100.00, which is CRAZY! Their other suggestion was the same that Heartland suggested I do on my dime. To remove the paint and silicone carefully, using a razor knife to cut the paint, remove the sealant and then put color matching (as best as possible) sealant to the area, leaving a paint void, but similar colored sealant.

If the answer is I do not need to worry about it now, should I be doing something to prevent the sealant under it from separating and allowing water intrusion?

Can I clean the existing Dicor and Paint on the roof and put Dicor over the existing Dicor on the roof where it is painted or should I remove it completely and reapply new Dicor? Can I put clear sealant over the light and door paint or should I remove the paint and sealant completely and reseal it with new sealant and thereby creating a void of paint?

Any and all suggestions would be great.

Rod

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rod,
I would certainly due the roof above the caps, regardless of being able to color match. I do these areas about every year, because a little water usually accumulates there after a rain. Just remove whatever seems loose or flaked and apply a coat of Dicor self leveling sealant right over it. Just put it on and let it settle. Don't try to smooth it out, as it will do that on its own. Trace

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Most of this is due too caulking expanding and contracting resulting in paint cracking. I don't think this can be avoided and if you like I would removed the caulk where it is visible to the ground and naked eye, paint and re-caulk with clear silicon. On the roof just apply self leveling Dicor and let it seal the cracks. On our 2013 Key Largo we have the 2 + % Warranty and every year have the dealer inspect and repair what needs to be repaired to keep the unit within the 5 year warranty. You should of got and if nyou did not call Heartland and get touch up paint so you can touch up area's that need be. Oh, as for your question as to WORRY, I don't think so, I believe this is normal and something that should be looked at and corrected several times a year. Price of owning a camper regardless of full body paint or not.