F350 or F450?

kb0zke

After nearly two years of enjoying our Foretravel MH we're seeing that a 5'er might suit us better. The Foretravel was the right coach at that time, but our activities have changed, with us staying in one spot for longer periods of time.

This evening I found a 2006 Landmark Monticello that looks like it might suit us. It has a GVWR of 18,000 pounds. The spec sheet thinks that the pin weight is only 2660 pounds. That seems a bit light to me. I thought I remembered that a 5'er should have about 20-25% of the GW on the pin. That would mean that the pin weight is more like 3600-4500 pounds. Is that correct?

Of course buying a Landmark (or any 5'er for that matter) means that our Jeep Liberty will have to be replaced by a truck. We'll be buying used, so we pretty much have to go hunt for the right truck. Will an F350-class truck be sufficient, or should we look for an F450-class truck?

MTPockets

I know that the 2011 - 2013 F350DRW payload capacity is almost identical to the F450 and plenty for what you need. There are advantages with F450 such as greater pulling power due to higher gear ratio, and tighter turning radius. Also larger tires, brakes. But, in total, an F350 with max 14,000 lb GVWR package is plenty. Also, F450 is classified as commercial vehicle and as I understand it, higher insurance rates.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do not go with "opinion". Do not trust a truck dealer or an RV dealer. Do the math. Visit www.fifthwheelst.com for unbiased safe towing information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb0zke

Thanks, Erica. Since we have neither truck nor trailer about all I can do is guess. It looks like an F350 might work for some Heartlands, while the F450 would work for all.

MTPockets, I'll check with the insurance agent in the morning.

MTPockets

Thanks, Erica. Since we have neither truck nor trailer about all I can do is guess. It looks like an F350 might work for some Heartlands, while the F450 would work for all.

MTPockets, I'll check with the insurance agent in the morning.
Capacity-wise, a recent year F350DRW with the 14,000 GVWR package, will handle everything Heartland offers. F450 gives a cushion but trade offs such as cost, lower fuel mileage, higher price tires; and probably insurance. Get the truck you are most comfortable owning. Also, if you could share what your insurance agent says, that would be of interest.

jdamude

After nearly two years of enjoying our Foretravel MH we're seeing that a 5'er might suit us better. The Foretravel was the right coach at that time, but our activities have changed, with us staying in one spot for longer periods of time.

This evening I found a 2006 Landmark Monticello that looks like it might suit us. It has a GVWR of 18,000 pounds. The spec sheet thinks that the pin weight is only 2660 pounds. That seems a bit light to me. I thought I remembered that a 5'er should have about 20-25% of the GW on the pin. That would mean that the pin weight is more like 3600-4500 pounds. Is that correct?

Of course buying a Landmark (or any 5'er for that matter) means that our Jeep Liberty will have to be replaced by a truck. We'll be buying used, so we pretty much have to go hunt for the right truck. Will an F350-class truck be sufficient, or should we look for an F450-class truck?

We have a 2016 F450. It is one month old. We also had a 2014 F450. Our trailer is a 2014 Big Country 3650RL. At the Goshen rally this year the trailer weighed in at 16600 lbs. since the rally we have added a washer/dryer combo and a 5500 watt Onan Generator.

The 2014 F450 pulled the trailer effortlessly. We did add air bars in the rear to level the truck when loaded and provide extra stability. The F450 comes standard with a 4.30 rear axle ratio. This option was great not only for pulling but also for slowing on hills. The truck come with 18 inch tires and it wore them off fast. After 40,000 kilometres the tires needed to be replaced. The rear axle in the truck is a Dana 60. The front axle is a foot wider than the F350 and provides a much better turning radius.

On the 2016 F450 the truck is much different. The axle is a 4.30 gear ratio however it is a spicer and is very heavy duty. Wheels are 19.5 inch and should provide better wear. The truck is rated to pull over 30,000 lbs. Both truck have a transmission brake and the 2016 model is also equipped with and exhaust brake that is controlled by a switch in the dash. The new truck does not require air bags as it is sprung much differently. The braking system is larger on the new F450.

I hope this this helps with your decision on what truck suits your needs.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All, the OP is looking at a 2006 Landmark, at 18k GVWR. These early units had granite countertops, lots of solid wood, and they truly were top of the line.

The OP also mentioned looking at used trucks, which may not have the capacity.

I still say, learn the math and what to look for to get the right match. You need a truck with an adequate GCWR, a tow rating to handle the max of the trailer (GVWR of 18k), and have a payload to handle the potential pin weight and keep within the truck's GVWR.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've owned both. All of mine have been dually diesels. I loved the 450 for the bigger payload carrying capacity, however it was over-kill for any of the Landmarks I've owned. Now I have a 350 and love it. The newer Fords have fantastic turning radius, a much quieter engine and the 350 has more than enough pulling power to haul my 2015 Landmark 365 without a problem. To me, the biggest difference between the 450 and the 350 is gas mileage. The 350 has tons better mpg than my 450 ever had.

Lou_and_Bette

IMHO I have a F450 and love several things over the standard F350...however, if I had it to do all over again I would go with the F350 with the High Capacity Trailer Towing Package #535. Gives you all the benefits of the F450 without the draw backs. I had difficulty finding financing and insurance.

B

BouseBill

People having difficulties with financing and insurance on a F-450, is this a "state" specific problem?? We have had no problems whatsoever.. registered in SD as a non-commerical vehicle.

avvidclif

I found a used F450 several years ago at a great price. The Credit Union I use will not finance anything over F350, no commercial loans, was their answer.

SilverRhino

Do not go with "opinion". Do not trust a truck dealer or an RV dealer. Do the math. Visit www.fifthwheelst.com for unbiased safe towing information.

I would second this reply. "Opinions" are often biased and should be not be taken as facts. The Fifth Wheel Street web site will definitely guide you in the right direction.

justafordguy

I know the OP said he was going to buy used but I noticed that the 2015 - 2016 F350 DRW with High capacity package has a higher payload rating than the F450 for some reason, over 1000lbs more. The F450 does have a hight tow rating. I guess the F450 must weigh more which would take away from payload.

MTPockets

I know the OP said he was going to buy used but I noticed that the 2015 - 2016 F350 DRW with High capacity package has a higher payload rating than the F450 for some reason, over 1000lbs more. The F450 does have a hight tow rating. I guess the F450 must weigh more which would take away from payload.
The F450 higher tow rating is due to the rear end ratio which is higher than available on F350. Also, the payload charts are deceiving as they are for a bare bones truck. My 2013 with 14,000 lb GVWR pkg was rated for payload over 6,000 lbs.. The actual payload sticker after all options says 5,350 lbs. still plenty, but nearly 800 lbs less than the spec sheet.

SilverRhino

Another thing you might consider is looking for a used ? MDT or even a HDT. You might be surprised how much more truck you can get for your money going that route. They are not for everyone, but just thought I would mention the options.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had a 2007 Landmark with a weight of 16500. The pin weight was 4250. Don't believe the specs on the pin weight. If the Montcello has 3 axels it will have a lower pin weight. We pulled it with a 1999 F350 with the 3.73 rear end. We added air bags and the truck pulled the Rv just fine. Our unit now is a 2013 Landmark pulled be a 2012 F350 dual my. Pin weight is 3850. It pulls fine as well.