ATF: Landmark - Sour Gas / Sewer Smell where all kitchen plumbing lines disappear into floor beneath island

lslade

We took possession of a new 2016 Landmark Charleston on November 2nd.
We have a rather nauseating, sour gas / sewer smell emanating from where all the kitchen sink plumbing lines/drain line converge together and disappear through a hole in the floor underneath the central kitchen island underneath the cabinet which houses the sliding utensil drawers.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There should be an air admittance valve located in that area.
To test if that is the problem put a baggie over it and wrap a rubber band or something around to seal the baggie.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Might try a dose of Happy Camper. We use it routinely in all 3 holding tanks and NEVER any odors. (Amazon to buy)!

lynndiwagoner

It's more than likely the check valve under the sink. It unscrews and new ones are available at Lowe's. The plastic bag idea will work until you get a new one.

lslade

Dave, thanks for your reply.
Can you describe exactly what I'm looking for, please?
I'm not familiar with plumbing parts.
The "air admittance valve"? What does it look like? Exactly where will it be located in all the plumbing lines and sink drain line that I see?

lslade

Lynn and Diana, thanks for your reply.
Can you describe exactly what I'm looking for, please?
I'm not familiar with plumbing parts.
The "check valve"? What does it look like? Exactly where will it be located in all the plumbing lines and sink drain line that I see?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that the check valve referred to is the air admittance valve. Actually it is called a Studor Valve.
Here is a picture of what it will look like. Well, it will be similar.
There will be one somewhere in the drain line under your kitchen sink.
There will also be one under the bathroom sink.
proflo-pf108202-231.jpg

Peace
Dave

lslade

Kitchen sink PVC vent pipe.jpg
Dave, ... we can't find anything that looks like the photo you've provided of the Studor Valve.
Please see the photo I've attached.
We did discovered this small/narrow-diameter vent-like pipe extending from the main pvc drain pipe for the kitchen sink.
Should there be a Studor Valve capping the end of this smaller vent-like pipe?

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
On my charleston the pipe you are refering to is hooked to dish washer. If you do not have dishwasher it should be capped off. Floyd

lslade

Floyd, thanks for responding to my inquiry.
We do not have a dishwasher.
When you say that small pipe should be "capped off", ... with a specific valve like the Studor Valve referred to by Dave in his post to me, or just by anything that will cap that opening?

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
I do not have a studer valve unless it is built into dishwasher. I would cap it off to stop it venting inside the cabinet. Floyd

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
My LM had the same issue. I think that port is for the dishwasher, I capped it off with duct tape and have no other problems.

lslade

Tom, Marti, thank you very much for taking time to respond to my inquiry.
We've capped that pipe last evening and this morning, so far at least, we have the "sweet smell of success".
Thanks!

lslade

Floyd, thank you very much for taking time to respond to my inquiry.
We capped that pipe last evening and this morning, so far at least, we have the "sweet smell of success".
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Dave, thank you very much for taking time to respond to my inquiry.
We capped that pipe last evening and this morning, so far at least, we have the "sweet smell of success".
Thanks for being on the Forum and for providing your thoughts!

- - - Updated - - -

John, thank you very much for taking time to respond to my inquiry.
We capped that pipe underneath the cabinet last evening and this morning, so far at least, we have the "sweet smell of success".
We do have cyclone sewer vent cover from our previous rig but haven't gotten it installed yet. Once that is done, hopefully plumbing venting issues will be completely in check.
Thanks!

carl.swoyer

The cap that you taped off is a diaphragm. You should replace it as the diaphragm allows air to flow while dumping your tanks . Without this it will take alot longer to dump. They spin on and off . you also have one under the bathroom sink. I have replaced both of mine.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

carl.swoyer

I apologize, I didn't see the attached photo

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !