DETERMINED: On Bighorn, can I disable Welcome Home light?

There is a real reason I want to do this odd thing. Amateur astronomy is one of the unusual activities my wife and I participate in. Some times we go to large gatherings with others and stay up most of the night looking through telescopes.

If we need to come back into our camper to warm up, grab a bite to eat or use the facilities we would like to be able to do it without having a bright light come on as soon as we open the door. White lights in this kind of environment make you unpopular very quickly. I know that there is a magnetic switch that turns this light on. I would like to know which fuse the circuit is on. I hope that I can pull the fuse without cutting off power to any important items.

We plug in red LED bulbs in several of the interior lights when we use our camper for astronomy. This covers all the light we need to see inside the camper on observing nights.

Our camper is a 2015 1/2 3570RS.

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Can I disable the Welcome Home Light?

One thought would be to remove the lens of the light and place a red filter there.
Since the lights are LED there is little heat so even red Mylar would work.
Or you could remove the lens, remove three screws and disconnect the wires.
I would go with the red filter.

Peace
Dave

dewwood

Could you put a piece of tape over the switch in the door frame to temporarily keep the light off?

danemayer

I'd guess it's on the same fuse as other interior lights.

But you might be able to disable it completely. If you remove the switch that controls that light, you may be able to get to the wirenuts and remove either the power line going to the control module, or the power line coming out of the control module. I've attached a block diagram that might help.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could add a switch that would enable/disable power to or from the module.

Attachments

• Welcome Back Light Block Diagrams.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 72

I decided to leave the door open and remove fuses one at a time until I was able to turn off the Welcome Home Light. I was going to start with any fuse that mentioned anything about lights. When I got the cover off I discovered that I had missed the clearly labeled fuse for the Welcome Home Light! I don't know how I didn't see it when I looked earlier. This post is to apologize for not being more careful in my checking before asking for help. It was the next to the last fuse in the box, number 15 I think now. In any event it will be easy to disable it from the fuse box. I also verified that I have enough red LEDs to convert several of the other lights. This will allow us to go in and out of the camper at astronomy sessions without causing damage to our own or anyone's night vision. Thanks to those who offered suggestions here.

Oregon_Camper

Now that you found the fuse, wire in a switch and you won't have get on your hands and knees every time you want to turn it on & off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk