Front Axle brakes issue

newman

After coming to a stop at the end of a hill today, I went around and put my hand on each brake drum to see if they were working. The front axle brakes on both sides were not even warm. the back axle was hot, and the brake controller is a Prodigy adjusted correctly. I adjusted the brakes a few months ago and have towed about 1000 miles since then. none of the wires look broken, so I am kind of running out of ideas. I can't say for sure that the front axle brakes ever worked as I never really checked before. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Forrest Fetherolf

If your Prodigy has the capability to display amps........with the manual brake knob fully depressed amps should be between 9 to 12 amps, if not, one or more of the brake wiring or electromagnets are not functioning properly. Each wheel brake needs about 2+ to 3 amps to activate the each electromagnet.
Another way to check the brake wiring and electromagnets to each wheel.............have someone depress the manual brake knob and have another listen at each wheel for the click when the magnet is engaged. These tests will indicate if the wiring and/or electromagnets are working properly. I would suspect the problem is in the wiring or electromagnets on the front axle, if the brakes are adjusted properly.

Forrest

flyfishing48

Like Forrest Fetherolf indicated, you should hear and feel a click at each wheel when someone activates the brake control lever. You should also get a vibration at full power.
I carry an infrared temp reader in the truck to check bearing and wheel temps. It gives a good indication of any problems that might be developing.

Jimmyt5

You can also stand there with a compass and when the breaks are hit the compass should react.

newman

OK I hooked up the truck and manully pulled the brake lever, and there was no noise on the front axle. After crawling under the trailer I found a wire most of the way cut were I could not see it on the intital look. After splicing the wire, both sides on the front axle work fine. By the way, the amp readout on the brake contoller showed no difference in power draw after fixing, and my manual for the Prodigy said it should show 6-7 while at full manual pull. Thanks for the help everyone.