Washer/Dryer Combo install -- ElkRidge

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all, we did it! We did it ourselves.

We purchased a Pinnacle Super Combo washer/dryer, and a Splendide pan, from PPL in Cleburne. This machine will let you run it in vented or non-vented mode, and we were not sure we would go the extra mile to put the vent in.

Well, after much discussion, we ordered the Splendide vent kit online and decided to tackle it.

Here are the pics of the install:

IMG_6582.jpg
Routing overflow hose

IMG_6583.jpg
Routing overflow hose under the dresser

IMG_6577.jpg
Routing the overflow down into the battery compartment

IMG_4203.jpg
testing for the vent

IMG_4215.jpg
Started the hole cut from inside, finished outside.

IMG_4220.jpg
New hole in the rig!

IMG_4225.jpg
Used butyl tape behind the vent insert, then screwed in place.

IMG_4229.jpg
Chrome cover added (screws with caulk in holes) and outer edge caulked.

IMG_4231.jpg
Inside, added the trim piece.

IMG_6586.jpg
Used a rigid aluminum dryer vent, added dryer elbow.

IMG_4234.jpg
Added 1/2" plywood base

IMG_4237.jpg
Attach pan according to the instructions.

IMG_4240.jpg
Connect drain line to pan

IMG_4241.jpg
Water connections

IMG_4243.jpg
Ready for the combo! (the "handles" are for a large ratchet strap to secure during travel.)

IMG_4244.jpg
Combo in -- Dryer vent and water connections hooked up.

IMG_4245.jpg
Unit is in! (Then added the dam on the pan.)

jbeletti

Looks great - thanks for sharing. I know you couldn't resist the picture out the vent hole :) I'd have taken the shot too :)

TravelTiger

Well, followup to the install. After using the Pinnacle SuperCombo for a week, we found it did not work as we thought it should, and worried it had a defect of some kind as the unit would get burning hot on the side, the vent air was not moving fast enough out of the vent to open the exterior flap, and there was a definite "smell". I contacted Pinnacle to see if my unit was operating normally or should I be concerned. They could not find someone to answer my questions, but took my info and said someone would be calling me back. I also sent an email, describing the issues. I did not hear from them.

I also called PPL, the seller. They were immediately apologetic, and wanted to help facilitate a solution with Pinnacle. I told them I was really interested in replacing the unit rather than waiting for service. They took my info and said they would get back to me.

Meanwhile, Pinnacle finally called and requested my info, so they could find a tech to come and assess the machine. They sent me a form, but I was not able to fill it out, as I was away from my rig at the time.

Within an hour of my call, PPL responded with info that they would gladly replace the Pinnacle with the Splendide, and that customer satisfaction was their top priority.

Pinnacle emailed to ask where the completed form was. I politely told them I was returning the unit to the seller.

We un-installed the Pinnacle, loaded it back into the SUV, and I headed to PPL. When I pulled in, two guys quickly unloaded the old and loaded the new. They even offered the Splendide at the SAME PRICE as the Pinnacle! Within 15 minutes I was headed home.

I can't say enough about PPL and their customer service. Thank you to Kyle Nabors at the Cleburne location for making the switch painless, and Ron Hunt, Parts Customer Service Representative for facilitating the exchange, and Clark Chandler, the Parts Manager for approving it. They really went above my expectations to satisfy me as a customer.

Please give them your business! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Let us know how the Splendid unit works compared to the Pinnacle.

Jim, so far it's the same learning curve with the Pinnacle, trying to figure load size and dry time.

I like that the exterior vent is fully open when drying (lots more forced air), and the unit doesn't get overly hot to the touch.

I prefer the Pinnacle's digital display which show you exactly where you are in the wash or dry cycle with a progress bar. The Splendide I'm guessing. I'll have to figure out a way to keep track of the time.

Here's the new installed:

IMG_6644 2.jpg

I also added these to the bottom of the feet in the pan.
081dc8e58f667139014b032e578a3486.jpg
2f17265726f5a206e01af4157e5c718d.jpg
47cbed17c9814d7e039ba881a9890cf6.jpg

Which seem to help with the movement from the spin cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I took the pan out from under ours and it seems more stable.

TravelTiger

We typically tackle stuff like this as a joint project, so some things I did and some Tony did, and then some we did together (like getting the unit up stairs)

I fished the drain line hose from the closet to the battery compartment on Friday evening. We had all the other pieces ready, we started Saturday about 10am. (Paused for lunch.) Finished with hooking it all up about dinner time, but didn't test it until the next day.

{Also-- we changed the elbow to the one recommended by Splendide.}
07b0e22d5e97c52f8bdd30a5bd1e5a8c.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
CaptnJohn, RV dryers are 120 volt. There are also apartment size dryers that come in a 120 volt version.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We typically tackle stuff like this as a joint project, so some things I did and some Tony did, and then some we did together (like getting the unit up stairs)

I fished the drain line hose from the closet to the battery compartment on Friday evening. We had all the other pieces ready, we started Saturday about 10am. (Paused for lunch.) Finished with hooking it all up about dinner time, but didn't test it until the next day.

{Also-- we changed the elbow to the one recommended by Splendide.}
07b0e22d5e97c52f8bdd30a5bd1e5a8c.jpg

Got a photo of that in place, Erika?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ah yes, I forgot you rotated your's to face out of the closet. I may revise my flexible exhaust to a semi-rigid one with little bending in it. Almost a straight shot out the side.