Storage Bay Behind Fireplace

'Lil Guy'

On our new BH there is a small storage area with slam door that's carpeted behind the fire place. Looks like the perfect place for a good tool room. Just seems natural for a maintenance bin. What's everyone else doing with this area?
I can just see plastic storage boxes with assorted screws, fasteners, electrical connectors, wire, hand tools, electrical drill, etc. Seems just the right size for this.
You're thoughts.

jbeletti

Frank - please list the model of your Bighorn and if possible, attach a picture of this space - from the outside, with the storage door open. Include interior dimensions if you can. Be interesting to see what others are doing - once we all know what you have there.

'Lil Guy'

I'll post back tomorrow after I go to lot to get dimension and pics. Really a nice unexpected little storage area.

jbeletti

Ive seen owner coaches where they have the buffet cabinet/outdoor TV cabinet, where they didn't order the TV and they use the TV space for storage.

Saw one person store oils and other truck maintenance liquids.

Saw another where he stored leveling blocks.

If your space is on the door side, I'd store commonly needed outdoor camping/living items.

If your space is on the off door side, I'd store plumbing/electrical items in it.

Good luck with your bonus storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

osims

bsims
My 3160EL also has that storage compartment, I store my surge protector and misc electrical connectors in there since it is so close to power cord reel.

Piperflyer

I keep all my electrical plugs, wheel chocks, tire covers, water hoses, sewer parts, TV Cables, Waxes & Cleaners in mine. It has room to store quite a bit of stuff.

ncc1701e

Our 2013 Sundance has a storage bay like this. I split it in half with a shelve. The top half is were I put our camp chairs, folding flag pole, outside lights, and other light weight items. The lower half is the "cat house". I was able to fix access from the living area to this storsge area for Lucifer's potty box. Works really great for the cat and we do not have an exposed litter box in the main area of the coach.

'Lil Guy'

The storage area is 12" X 42" with an angle on one end. So, the back wall is 30" from left wall with a 5" depth on the right then angles back to the 30" wall. The height is 26" top to bottom. Lots of room inside. I like the idea of a shelf with a lip around it. It's going to be an organized tool room along with he electrical adapters and extension cords. No matter how I store my tools and supplies, I always have to dig for them when needed. This should solve that problem. Debbie took these pics last night and there wasn't enough light for her phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 100

jbeletti

That's a nice looking space Frank. You may want to remove a panel to see if there's insulation behind the paneling to the interior. If not, first thing you might want to due is fit some insulation board on the 3 walls and ceiling of the storage space.

But you have a lot of space to work with there. Have fun with it. Perhaps others who already weighed in that have this space can post pictures of what they did to theirs.

By the way - this thread will be moving. No worries though as a 1-week auto-redirect will be in place for anyone looking for it here in the General forum. Terry H suggested to me today, based on your thread, that we create a new sub-forum for exterior accessed storage - so that forum has now been created. Terry will look over my work, tweak if needed, then move your thread into it. Thanks for kicking it off. Maybe it should be sub-named the Little Guy forum :)

Geodude

We have that same space. We use it to store our solar panel, Lynx levellers, our collection of electrical connectors, adapters and extension cords.

GWRam

Can't tell from your photo. Looks like the floor is carpeted. If you wanted the extra protection for dirty items you could have an aluminum tray made as a liner. I had one made for empty compartment we had. Now I store chocks, surge protector and blocks in the compartment.
8b01c57ff3a948e1e7a17fd4327ab54d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

I have no idea. I guess there was a void behind the fireplace in our unit and they made the most of it. Really is a handy and unexpected storage area with locking slam door. When I get it out of storage later, I have some ideas for it. I like Jim's idea of some insulation and also a LED motion sensitive light in the top for starts. This area won't be utilized for chocks and grimy items. If I didn't want to make it into my tool room for electrical and mechanical items, it sure would make a great liquor cabinet.lol
To be continued at a latter date.