Landmark - Refrigerator winterizing

AZBarry

RV has a Samsung French door refrigerator with ice maker in bottom freezer drawer. I am winterizing the RV using air to purge lines. I have located the stop valve in the island, have purged poly supply line from stop valve to the drain valve outside under the refrigerator. But how do I force the ice maker to harvest mode to allow air to purge the remaining supply line from the outside drain valve up through the internal refrigerator supply line and ice maker?

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Re: ATF: Landmark - Refrigerator winterizing

Hi AZBarry,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We have a great area under the tools tab at top of page with lots of owner written guides and manuals also. I suggest you check these out for some info.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

danemayer

You'll have to look at the Samsung Manual (probably in the blue pouch that came with your RV) to see how to trigger the icemaker manually. The general procedure is in the Residential Refrigerator Guide, but that's based on the Frigidaire unit, so the controls are going to be different.

We have a couple of Samsung Refrigerator documents here, but I don't know if that's the model you have.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The Samsung manuals don't have a procedure in them. I contacted Samsung and their response was they don't have a winterization procedure. I often wonder about this - if the solenoid is located in the freezer area, is there really a need to do anything other than drain all the water out of the line. After all, the ice maker is subject to constant 2 degree temperatures when the freezer is in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

Several of us covered this in another thread...there is manual cycle button under the icemaker...

Put 40psi in the city inlet with a compressor and hit the button 3--4 times. ...poof...done...

EDIT!!!!!!!

Actually that was for an lg....

But if worse comes to worse and you can't get a manual cycle, just leave the air on for a while till it auto cycles a couple times. ..that's what I did the first time before I found the button on the lg....

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Several of us covered this in another thread...there is manual cycle button under the icemaker...

Put 40psi in the city inlet with a compressor and hit the button 3--4 times. ...poof...done...

EDIT!!!!!!!

Actually that was for an lg....

But if worse comes to worse and you can't get a manual cycle, just leave the air on for a while till it auto cycles a couple times. ..that's what I did the first time before I found the button on the lg....

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I was actually planning on trying that while I clean out my cargo bay and do a couple of other minor repairs.

danemayer

I've attached a screen cap from one of the Samsung manuals. Maybe yours has a test button like the one shown here.

Attachments

• Samsung Ice Maker Test Button.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 19

asherwin

I have the Samsung as well and I winterize using the pink stuff. Let the icemaker run until pink ice and done. Does not take much time.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just winterized my Samsung with air. The procedure is as follows.

1. Connect air to city inlet (no more than 40 PSI)
2. Purge water from all lines using your normal procedure. Don't forget outside shower and washer/dryer connections if you have them.
3. Once all other lines have been purged, press the test button under the front center of ice maker until cycle starts. Repeat about 5 times or until you hear no more gurgling water sound. This can be repeated as soon as the cycle completes.
4. Close shut off valve for ice maker. Mine is located in the island behind the bottom drawer on left.
5. Press the "ice off" button inside the refrigerator. It is the button farthest to the left of the freezer temp display.

jbeletti

Bill - you may have done this as well, regarding refer winterization, I suggest removing the water filter from the refer and the filter media from behind the UDC after the water has been purged.

AZBarry

RV has a Samsung French door refrigerator with ice maker in bottom freezer drawer. I am winterizing the RV using air to purge lines. I have located the stop valve in the island, have purged poly supply line from stop valve to the drain valve outside under the refrigerator. But how do I force the ice maker to harvest mode to allow air to purge the remaining supply line from the outside drain valve up through the internal refrigerator supply line and ice maker?

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help. It's wonderful to receive so many replies and so quickly. What a great group of RV'ers

billyjoeraybob

Bill - you may have done this as well, regarding refer winterization, I suggest removing the water filter from the refer and the filter media from behind the UDC after the water has been purged.

Great point Jim. As far as I know the Samsung does not have an internal filter as do refers with water dispensers. I will check that out tomorrow. I did remove the whole house water filter from the rig and put a 1/2 in double MPT pipe nipple in it's place(borrowed that idea from your Ashland thread). We use our rig year round so I winterize the coach a couple of times a month over the winter. The factory filter has no bypass valve where I could bypass the filter for the winter and I did not want the hassle of dealing with that each time. In the spring I will most likely replace the filter with a two stage similar to yours or with a single stage that has an integral bypass valve. That way I will only have to deal with the filter media the first time I winterize each fall.

jbeletti

Great point Jim. As far as I know the Samsung does not have an internal filter as do refers with water dispensers. I will check that out tomorrow. I did remove the whole house water filter from the rig and put a 1/2 in double MPT pipe nipple in it's place(borrowed that idea from your Ashland thread). We use our rig year round so I winterize the coach a couple of times a month over the winter. The factory filter has no bypass valve where I could bypass the filter for the winter and I did not want the hassle of dealing with that each time. In the spring I will most likely replace the filter with a two stage similar to yours or with a single stage that has an integral bypass valve. That way I will only have to deal with the filter media the first time I winterize each fall.

Ah - I missed the Samsung part. Perhaps you don't have a filter. If you did - it would likely be in the refer cabinet.

Keep a watchful eye on the MPT you put in. I used a plastic one at first and could NEVER get it to stop dripping. I've since replaced that with a Sharkbite 90. Had to cut off the 1/2" plastic fittings first.

billyjoeraybob

Thanks Jim. I will keep an eye on it. I used a brass one with a lot of teflon tape. Hopefully it will stay dry. I do love the Sharkbite's though. We don't have a washing machine so I have added Sharkbite valves to the W/D supply lines to isolate them so I don't have to winterize them each time. The Sharkbites are great when working with PEX in cramped spaces.