Non-storage freezing temperatures

dannyjo83

I am in East Texas with expected temperatures to drop to 29 degrees but not over extended time frame. I am new to RVing and have discussed this issue with RV Service and Parts people. Ice cream salt or RV antifreeze which is better option? Any suggestions for protecting my pipes/holding tanks?

danemayer

Hi dannyjo83,

Ice cream salt? ? ? Never heard that one.

Most of us use either RV antifreeze or compressed air, or both. We have an owner-written Winterization Guide that may be helpful.

If you have a Residential Refrigerator, you'll want to look at the winterizing instructions in the Residential Refrigerator Guide.

When looking at weather forecasts, keep in mind that actual temperatures can often be quite different from the forecast for the reporting station. They may get to 29. You might get to 25.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It all depends on how low it gets below freezing and how long it stays there. If it get to 25 for a few minutes and then goes back above freezing and is below freezing for 1/2 hour or so then the only thing I would do is turn off the water, disconnect the water connection, let the furnace run so the inside is above freezing (if we are not staying in it we keep the thermostat set on around 50. 65-70 if we are inside). Remember the furnace is what heats the underbelly. I also leave on the light in the UDC (take the lens cover off) and leave the light on in the basement too. If it will be below freezing for over a couple of hours I leave on the tank heaters (if we are in the RV) and even the Yetti switch (which runs the heat tape on the water lines). If the tank heaters are on there must be liquid in the tank to prevent burning a hole in the tank. We do not have an ice maker on the refrigerator so that is not an issue. Keep in mind the most important thing is how much below freezing is it going to get and how long will it stay below freezing. If it will only get to 30-31 for a few minutes we really don't worry much about it.

happykraut

A few years ago we spent the night in our Montana at Walmart in New Mexico. Got up in the morning and it was 17 degrees outside. The furnace was not on all night. No frozen pipes nor any damage. It did have the arctic package.