Chattering Brakes

Chuck Richard

Hello everyone, I am a new and happy owner (one month) of a 3055RL and love it. Been readiing the forum since before I had delivery and learned a lot. I'm hoping someone can help me with a brake problem I'm having. I've towed a 24ft. travel trailer for the past ten years and had the problem occasionally but thought it was the trailer. What happenes is when I am driving slow 25mph os less I get a chattering (jerking) of the trailer brakes. I have tried adjusting the gain on the controller up and down but nothing seems to help and it does not happen every time. I have an old Kelsey Hayes controller, should I spend the bucks and upgrade to the Prodigy? I was thinking of doing this any way.

Thanks for any advice.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I highly recommend changing to the Prodigy controller . I had the same model controller you are fighting with now , jerked us all over the place. I never could get the Kelsey-Hayes set right , world of difference with the Prodigy.....Ken

creeper

Chattering breaks usually happens with a faulty or cheap brake controller. I second the prodigy advice.

I had all kinds of chattering with my Reese controller. When I switched it all went away.

Forrest Fetherolf

The brake controller is one of the most important devices on your RV. Never skimp on one. Prodigy is good...........works on inertia. I only use Brakesmart.........it works in conjunction with TV brake fluid pressure. The cost difference is about $125 for Prodigy vs $400 for Brakesmart.

Forrest

Chuck Richard

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the feedback, looks like a new controller is in my near future. I suspected this was the problem but it's good to have confirmation.:D