fading grey end caps on Big Country

twohappycampers

I know this has been addressed all over the place on this forum, this business of the end caps fading. Just wondering if anyone has successfully had their caps painted with the trailer sitting outside? We can't have it brought to a shop. Thanks!

danemayer

Apart from the whatever difficulties there might be with painting outside, a lot of jurisdictions have environmental regulations that require painting in a controlled space.

GOTTOYS

Apart from the whatever difficulties there might be with painting outside, a lot of jurisdictions have environmental regulations that require painting in a controlled space.
I agree. Can't imagine what kind of job you would get if they were done outside. There is more to this than you might think. First they have to strip the decals, then thoroughly sand everything, Then a primer sealer needs to be sprayed on so the paint paint doesn't all get absorbed into the fiberglass. After that a base color coat is applied followed by a couple coats of clear. I had to do some searching and had mine done at a couple different shops for the front and also a couple years later, the rear cap. I used places that were equipped to paint semis and buses. Spraying paint is pretty closely regulated by the EPA. It would also be pretty near impossible to get a quality job outside a controlled environment...Don

twohappycampers

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will put that particular idea to rest. Living with faded ugly end caps won't be the end of the world, just a disappointment. :( We've worked hard to keep our rig looking nice inside and out. Now it looks like we've neglected it. Ugh!

GOTTOYS

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will put that particular idea to rest. Living with faded ugly end caps won't be the end of the world, just a disappointment. :( We've worked hard to keep our rig looking nice inside and out. Now it looks like we've neglected it. Ugh!
I feel the same way. Heartland helped out with the front cap and I paid to have the rear done last Spring, plus I replaced both wheel skirts. They blistered up and turned brown. Now I have some gold decals to replace those that are cracked. I can hardly wait to see what turns to crap next...Don

Ndrhsr

We bought a used grey 2011 Big Country, the front & rear caps were fading badly, We tried the ZEP thing for a season only to have it look worse, This Sept we finally broke down & had the caps painted. I saved some by removing most of the decals myself (wouldn't do that again) the body shop painted it & clear coated it out of doors. I purchased new decals from Heartland & installed them my self. The paint job is not as perfect as a factory job but I'm very pleased with the outcome. The clear coat was buffed out to remove any slight imperfections.