So…Tire Pressure monitoring System or……

Mburtsvt

I now have the TireMinder A1A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with 6 Transmitters for my new RV. I was ready to get 4 more transmitters, (yes - 4 on the RV and 6 on the truck), at a cost of an additional $145.00 when I was thinking - why?

I’m looking at the Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System instead. The crossfire would be for the dual wheels on the truck. The cost is about the same, but….. they make it easy to add air and maintain pressure on both sets of rear tires. I would give up knowing if I had a “ catastrophic type" rear tire failure since it would not have a monitor transmitter on the rear valve stem. What I would gain is ease of adding and monitoring tire pressure in the rear tires.

My biggest problem has been adding air to the rear duels in the past. This system makes this very easy.

Any comments?

GOTTOYS

When 2 tires are coupled together with that system...one gets a puncture, how do you know which one it is? Plus they won't tell you when or if that happens....Don

Mburtsvt

Yes…and No. There is a window on the circular part of the system where the braided hoses go into. The window will show you if your 10 psi over or under. In addition it will equalize the pressure in both tires. It will also close off one tire if it goes too far down. In other words you could be running with one tire flat and the other still at full pressure. All you would have to do is look at the “window” on the set up and see if it’s low on pressure on both tires.

http://dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

- - - Updated - - -

When 2 tires are coupled together with that system...one gets a puncture, how do you know which one it is? Plus they won't tell you when or if that happens....Don

It would be the one thats flat. If you have ever driven with a flat rear dual tire - you know it. The trucks rear get very soft.

SilverRhino

I looked at the Crossfire system and gave it some consideration, but chose to stick with individual tire monitors. I made my choice so that I would have individual tire pressure and temps at all times, which I prefer. As far as getting air into the inner dual, years ago I purchased a straight on air chuck that makes airing up the duals a very simple process......IMO just as easy as it would be with the Crossfire.

The Crossfire is a very good system, it just comes down to how you choose to monitor your pressures and temps. Good luck!

Travel Safe!

Mburtsvt

I looked at the Crossfire system and gave it some consideration, but chose to stick with individual tire monitors. I made my choice so that I would have individual tire pressure and temps at all times, which I prefer. As far as getting air into the inner dual, years ago I purchased a straight on air chuck that makes airing up the duals a very simple process......IMO just as easy as it would be with the Crossfire.

The Crossfire is a very good system, it just comes down to how you choose to monitor your pressures and temps. Good luck!

Travel Safe!

So how do you handle the transmitter valve stem cap being inside the inner wheel? I would have a very hard time removing them to add air, (knee replacements), and anything that would not have me go into the inner wheel would be great. I do see that I have a “pass through” type valve on it now, but the transmitter valve cap does not. It would have to be removed every time I needed to add air.

busted2341

Whatever you do I would not order or purchase the Valor TPMS that Heartland offers.....Useless, although the vender tried to work and fix mine, it was never fixed and a complete waste of money...

SilverRhino

So how do you handle the transmitter valve stem cap being inside the inner wheel? I would have a very hard time removing them to add air, (knee replacements), and anything that would not have me go into the inner wheel would be great. I do see that I have a “pass through” type valve on it now, but the transmitter valve cap does not. It would have to be removed every time I needed to add air.

I definitely understand your point...I've had knee replacement and back surgery so I appreciated not having to get under the truck! The TST system that I use offers sensors that you can air the tire thru the sensors without having to remove them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You could add a plastic valve stem extension that does not require a cap.
Like this.
!BqnYsDgBGk~$(KGrHqIOKjgEuZLcpCPeBLwN,JIHhw~~_12.JPG

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I don't have TPMS transmitters on my truck dually tires because of the dually issue. I think it is MOST IMPORTANT to have TPMS transmitters on your TRAILER tires, as most times you cannot sense things happening 30 feet behind the truck cab. I recently backed over an RV park utilities pedestal and didn't hear/feel a thing in the truck cab. If there were problems with the dually tires I would think that you would feel/see/smell something (8 feet behind the truck cab), along with the fact that the dually tires have redundant partner tires.

Mburtsvt

I definitely understand your point...I've had knee replacement and back surgery so I appreciated not having to get under the truck! The TST system that I use offers sensors that you can air the tire thru the sensors without having to remove them.

I will look into that type. Like you I still don't want to make adding air a big project all of the time. I like that you can fill the tire from the outside of the wheel. In the photo the fill valve is at the top of the yellow circle.

shopping.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever you do I would not order or purchase the Valor TPMS that Heartland offers.....Useless, although the vender tried to work and fix mine, it was never fixed and a complete waste of money...

Agree. Way too much, even after you discount it when ordering it new.

- - - Updated - - -

You could add a plastic valve stem extension that does not require a cap.
Like this.
!BqnYsDgBGk~$(KGrHqIOKjgEuZLcpCPeBLwN,JIHhw~~_12.JPG

Peace
Dave

good solution - will they hold back 65psi? I will look into this.

SilverRhino

The valve stem extensions are not really a solution if using a TPMS sending unit. They could actually cause a problem. There is no question that if you want to air your inner duals up from the outer wheel that the Crossfire is the best way to accomplish that.

Mburtsvt

I’m beginning to think that they, (Crossfire), will be the solution for now. I will have the TPMS on all of the other wheels, (front tires and the 4 on the RV), but the real duals will have the crossfire system.

Thanks all for the advice and information.

SilverRhino

I’m beginning to think that they, (Crossfire), will be the solution for now. I will have the TPMS on all of the other wheels, (front tires and the 4 on the RV), but the real duals will have the crossfire system.

Thanks all for the advice and information.

I did not ask before......what type of truck do you have? The reason I ask is all the Crossfire and Catseye systems I looked at were for tires needing 100 - 120 psi. Another note, did notice Ebay listings ..... not sure if the prices were competitive.

Good luck!

Mburtsvt

I did not ask before......what type of truck do you have? The reason I ask is all the Crossfire and Catseye systems I looked at were for tires needing 100 - 120 psi. Another note, did notice Ebay listings ..... not sure if the prices were competitive.

Good luck!

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Crossfire valves are available in pressures from 50 to 150 psi, in 5 pound increments, [/FONT]You need to buy the ones that match your current PSI on the tires you have. The ones I would need are 65PSI, (F350 dually).

So for me I would need:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030413Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Good luck!

I found several different versions of the Crossfire system on Amazon. Ordered one myself. BTW they have a built-in backflow so if one tire has it leak it does not let the air out of the other one.

Mburtsvt

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on two 65PSi units for my F350. Merry Christmas to me. They should be here next wed.

Mburtsvt

The Crossfires are on! Took all of twenty minutes. My tire guy, (yep- I have a tire guy), was impressed. He has seen then on logging truck back in the day. I added the reference card, (sicker) on the inside of my fuel door so I could remember to check them during my walk around when I fuel up. I added an addition coat of flat black Rust-Oleum paint to the hub. I will need to come up with a solution to add the hub covers back on since the display makes it impossible to get them back on. Small price to pay - for now.

IMG_0720.jpgIMG_0726.jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I got the Crossfires (80 psi) and when talking to the dealer he told me if I wanted to reinstall the hubcap (plastic cover over the lugnuts) I would have to cut a notch on it so the Crossfire would fit. I have not installed them yet (rain and cold and doctors appointments). I will let you know when we do.