4X4 vs 4X2 Dually

jetmech36

I'm looking into the possibility of buying a new/used dually truck in the near future and would like to get some real world opinions on the 4 wheel drive versus the rear wheel drive. I can locate 3 times as many 4X4 trucks but they tend to be around $6000-$9000 more. I have no real need for a 4X4, and added to that, I feel that the loss in MPG along with the purchase price being inflated makes me think that I should keep holding out for the 4X2. I would appreciate all opinions, thanks.

GWRam

If you keep on level dry pavement and easy pull through camp grounds you will never need 4x4.

There have been campgrounds we have been to that without the 4x4 we would not have been able to back the camper into the site. A few of the locations we needed the 4x4 were paved wet campground roads where it required backing up a hill and turning into the site around a turn. 2wd didn't work 4wd no problem.
4x4 will give you options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean-Pam

We currently have a 4x4 2500 and are going to be looking for a 3500 next year. I have had to use the 4x4 several times and was wondering the same thing, that is would I need 4x4 with a dually. Looking forward to folks real life experience, especially anyone who has the 4x2 and really needed the 4x4. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

MTPockets

4x4 is the obvious standard for its versatility, availability, resale value. I would think any mileage difference would be minimal, but anyone with 2wd dully please chime in. We've used 4wd on occasion and it's nice to have when wanted.

MagnoliaTom

I have a 2wd dually. I did a lot of looking before I found the one I wanted. I have not had a situation where I needed 4wd yet. However, not having it may be a problem one day as I park my camper on the side of my house. If it rains heavily, I may not be able to get it back in.
My choice for 2wd was based on the following:

4wd trucks were a little more expensive and a little more "used", they do get less mpg (about 2 mpg from my research), they have a lower cargo capacity (I think about 400 lbs), I felt having 4wd was an extra bell or whistle that would need servicing one day, and finally the truck I found had everything I wanted at a price I could afford and it was a one owner with good service records. I believe it was only used to tow their fifth wheel.

(If it would have had 4wd, I probably would've still bought it)

dewwood

I look at it like insurance. You hope you never need it but if you do it is really nice to have. I have needed it several times.

jnbhobe

Do they still make 2WD trucks ?? After having 4WD I would never buy a 2WD. There is no need for 4WD until you NEED it.

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Do they still make 2WD trucks ?? After having 4WD I would never buy a 2WD.

Me neither but I live in snow country plus my BH parking spot is "up the driveway beside the garage". 4 Lo and real slow!!!
fd6989ee88ad8e696a907c9db2e86d58.jpg

Rmcgrath53

I have a dually four wheel drive. I would never get a cut down version. I use the low gear every winter for my plow and getting up hills backing up. I don't worry about getting stuck because I never get stuck. That's what you would end up doing (fretting about getting stuck)
)

jetmech36

This has been some good information guys and I appreciate it. For the first year of owning the dually it will be pulling double duty as a daily driver to some degree. I live 85 miles from work, so the MPG of the 4X4 is of some concern not to mention the wear and tear on the 4X4 components. By Tom's post with only a possible 2 MPG difference between the 2, that doesn't sound too bad. I would absolutely prefer 4X4 for those "Times" when it is needed. Thanks again everyone.

dbbls59

i don't believe there is a 2 mpg difference, I think it is less. Maybe on a gas engine but not a diesel.

DougS

Doug S
This was an unusual year for me where I had to use the 4X4 twice to get into two Florida camp sites. One site near Tampa my wheels sunk 6 inches into the ground after a heavy rain. The guy next to me was unable to back into his site with his 4X2 so I helped him out by hooking up to his rig and backing him in. Now you can say why camp there, well the answer is simple, when you are in the height of season, and no other campgrounds have sites, you may have no choice. Also you never know when Mother Nature wants to dump an unusual amount of rain.
So bottom line, yes I think having a 4X4 is a good idea, I won't leave home without one.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My last 2 trucks are 4WD and would not go back to a 2WD. Fuel mileage, have never seen a big difference between a 2WD and 4WD. I say this because my 1st 2500 2WD got between 10-12 MPG towing the same trailer we have now. My 3500 4WD DRW gets the same pulling the same trailer. I have needed the 4WD and it saved my bacon.

MCTalley

More recent real-world relevant experience. We recently lost our 2013 4x2 F350 DRW in an accident and replaced it with a 2016 4x4 F350 DRW. Given the extra axle (yes, it adds 400 lb.), extra height and the more powerful engine in the 2016, I was anticipating worse mileage. The only place I've seen some drop is unloaded running 60-70 down the highway and maybe 1 mpg difference at that.

Loaded up with our fully loaded fifth wheel running 65 down the highway we're seeing almost exactly the same mileage between the two (not as much data to go on yet, but it's looking like the 2016 is getting slightly better mileage than the 2013). Granted, our previous trailer weighed maybe 500 lb. more than this one, but the truck weighed 400 lb. less, so pretty much an even wash.

As for the 4x2 vs. 4x4, you will see better resale value down the road, so the cost differential will be minimal. Also, in 2 1/2 years of 4x2 DRW ownership (two different trucks), we never got stuck or were unable to pull into or out of a site.

GOTTOYS

I don't think the mileage issue amounts to 1 mpg any more. 4wd trucks have gotten much more refined and efficient. In my neck of the woods, you can't hardly buy a 2wd truck except maybe a stripped down fleeter. The dealers won't stock them because they just don't sell. I doubt if you can even order one without a large deposit. They don't want to get stuck with them. The difference in resale will pay the 4wd and then some. I'm on my 6th one. We aren't here much when it snows anymore but I still find a use for it at times....Don

MagnoliaTom

i don't believe there is a 2 mpg difference, I think it is less. Maybe on a gas engine but not a diesel.

On a ford 6.0 diesel between 05-07, my unscientific polling of members on the ford truck forums, 4x4 members averaged 13.5-14 mpg (mixed) and 2wd members averaged 15-15.5.

The newer models probably have different results

pegmikef

In my neck of the woods, you can't hardly buy a 2wd truck except maybe a stripped down fleeter. The dealers won't stock them because they just don't sell. I doubt if you can even order one without a large deposit. They don't want to get stuck with them.

Same deal here in West Texas, nobody wants them so they don't carry them. To me the mpg is not a big deal as it is just an expense associated with a past time we love.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

4X4 all the way. 4 Low works great to back it up on the blocks if you don't have Level-Up. Also to get the extra torque to get off he road after your new truck check engine light comes on and then derates on you. Saved me few times.

Nbomar

The difference in mileage is real. It's only unloaded at highway speed from what I've ever seen and around 1-2 mpg maybe. I think the difference is the front axles spin all the time in these newer truck. That said, I wouldn't own a 2wd. My 3/4 ton I rarely used 4wd. It seems my new dually could get stuck on the asphalt. Not sure why I need it all the time, but I've used my 4wd to keep from spinning much more on the DRW truck than the SRW truck.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I second the 4X4, you never know when you need it...At Goshen this year after all the rain, I left on Sunday at 5 in the morning and had to use 4 wheel drive to get out of the mud soaked rut my truck was in after hooking up. Every time I order a new Truck I load it up with the mind set this will be the last new truck I will need....hum...5 trucks later I now have a new 2016 Ram....they just keep getting better and better...Good luck in your selection...