Microwave convection oven cooking help?

twilliams

Getting ready to take the new Ashland out for a week. Does anyone have a really good cook book or any advice on how to do the best with the convection/microwave oven?

TxCowboy

Other than the user manual that comes with the unit, I personally haven't seen one. On our unit, it recommends reducing the cooking temp by 25 degrees and trying to use the round rack so that whatever you're cooking rotates (or you have to rotate the pan by hand throughout the cooking cycle).

Using these simple suggestions, we've had great success using the convection microwave.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Other than the user manual that comes with the unit, I personally haven't seen one. On our unit, it recommends reducing the cooking temp by 25 degrees and trying to use the round rack so that whatever you're cooking rotates (or you have to rotate the pan by hand throughout the cooking cycle).

Using these simple suggestions, we've had great success using the convection microwave.

Agree, just reduce the temp, use the round pan, and cook just like your regular oven.

pegmikef

I don't know what model is in your Ashland, but the one I replaced the one that came with my BH with has a neat option. You can set it up so when you select convection, you can enter the temperature on the recipe and it will automatically reduce the temp by 25 degrees. My wife likes it because she doesn't have to try to remember whether she actually did it. The screen tells us it has been reduced automatically.

MTPockets

We've found that using the wire rack instead of the round, rotating metal tray, it works better. We used to use the round tray, but now always use the wire rack. We just set the temp, warm it up to set temp, then place item on the rack - just like the oven.. Ours is a GE Advantum microwave/convection which replaced the original Frigidaire that came with the Big Horn. The GE works much better.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
To elaborate just a little, using the wire rack elevates the food items so the air can circulate around them completely. That's what makes convection cook better than conventional.

pegmikef

I think it just has to be open as when our convection oven is running you can hear a fan sound. I think it automatically tries to vent and when it is closed the heat builds up and has been the cause of failures.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you don't have the outside flap unlocked then the heat cannot escape and it causes the oven (and food) to overheat. So yes the vent flap does need to be unlocked however the fan will come on automatically when preheating, cooking and cooling down after cooking.

danemayer

Some (all?) Microwave/Convection ovens have built in safety features. If there were a fire inside the oven, an over-temperature fuse will open, cutting power. If the oven overheats because the vent is closed, you'll end up calling a service tech to fix it. The over-temperature fuse in our Amana oven is very difficult to replace.