Inverter Transfer Switch Operation

CrossWay

We have a residential refrigerator in our 2015 Landmark. After experiencing trouble with the refrigerator circuit, I did some troubleshooting and determined the inverter transfer switch was bad. The symptom was that the refrigerator would run fine on the inverter, but would turn off when I turned off the inverter. I ran an extension cord from the outside receptacle and switched the plug on the top of the transfer switch from the inverter to the extension cord. The refrigerator came on. I ran the refrigerator this way until I could order in a new transfer switch.
Today I replaced the transfer switch and everything seems to work fine. But I had some thoughts that I wanted to bounce off the collective wisdom of this forum to make sure I don't inadvertently cause another transfer switch failure.
1. Does it cause a problem to parallel the inverter circuit with the shore power circuit? In other words, to turn on the inverter while the refrigerator is on shore power? Or should I wait until the shore power is disconnected before turning on the inverter?
2. Then, assuming #1 is OK: To protect our frozen food from a power outage when we are absent from the coach for a couple of days, can I turn on the inverter before we leave. Then if the power goes out, the inverter would pick up the refrigerator. And when the power comes back on, would the refrigerator switch back over to shore power? This is assuming the batteries last longer than the power outage. This RV park we're in right now has some electrical problems.
Thanks for any perspectives on the inverter/transfer switch operation.
This is a great forum! I learn a lot every time I log on. Hopefully this little discussion will help somebody else along the way.
Thanks,
Gene Jameson

danemayer

Hi CrossWay,

There shouldn't be any problem keeping the inverter turned on while on shore power. The transfer switch only allows one power source to be used at a time and if both power sources are present, it defaults to using shore power. If you leave the inverter on all the time, it'll consume some of your battery charge to run its circuitry, but as long as shore power is available, the Power Converter should supply more than enough power to keep the batteries charged.

With the inverter on, if shore power drops out for a few hours, the refrigerator should run on power supplied by the inverter. Of course, if shore power is down for more than a day, at some point the batteries will be depleted and the inverter will shut down along with the refrigerator.

CrossWay

Say Dan,
I was hoping you would help me with this. I have seen many of your other replies in the Electrical section and value your input. Thanks for your help.
This sounds good. As I mentioned, I replaced the inverter transfer switch and everything seems to be working fine. In fact, we are away from the rig until Friday, so I turned on the inverter before we left. It's good to have that assurance, that if the power does go out for a few hours, the residential refrigerator will never know it. :)
Thanks again,
Gene

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Thanks for the post on this. I was looking for and answer to a different problem and this post answered it.

I too have a 2015 Landmark with the residential refrigerator. When I picked up the unit the service tech taught me that to run the fridge I had to make sure the DC switch to the battery was on and then come into the trailer and use the inverter start switch on the panel. Based on that I assume the refrigeration only had one source of power, the inverter.

Yesterday I installed two receptacles in each end of the island that have USB charge ports built in the receptacle. To do that I had to turn off the power and when I opened the breaker panel I found one breaker was already in the off position and the legend said "Refri". At that time the refrigerator was off having just come out of storage. I turned the breaker on and to my supersize the fridge came on! I doubled checked and the DC switch and inverter were still off.

So this post confirmed that there is a transfer switch for the refrigerator that will automatically switch between utility power and inverter power, as well as once again confirming the general incompetence of RV Dealer service techs......

Thanks again!