Truck upgrade

Thinking about replacing f-250 srw with f-350 dually towing Bighorn 3570 . Problem is they are hard to find in supercab 8' bed ,looks like I'll have to order it . my question is 6.2 gas or 6.7 diesel .2012 6.2 pulls fine the few times I've used it. Opinions would be appreciated.

'Lil Guy'

I couldn't imagine pulling that BH with a gas engine on anything except flat ground. Gas engines torque is at higher rpms so unless you like a lot of high rev at low gears, I'd go with the diesel with the exhaust brake. JMO

Oregon_Camper

I thought I was going to have to order (12 week lead time) but then someone on this forum pointed to to www.cars.com. There is no cost to use the service and I found the EXACT truck I wanted...in Texas. Flew there that night and took 3 days to drive it home. Saved a lot of $$$ and got more options then I was planning on getting...for less!!!

pegmikef

I couldn't imagine pulling that BH with a gas engine on anything except flat ground. Gas engines torque is at higher rpms so unless you like a lot of high rev at low gears, I'd go with the diesel with the exhaust brake. JMO

. . . as Frank said and of course buying lots of gas as my experience with a gasser was that the mpg was really bad compared to diesel.

brianlajoie

I don't think it is even close. It you look up on Ford and configure a 6.2 gas dually, you would already be at the max for towing with the dry weight of the trailer. Have fun with your new diesel. :)

jdamude

Thinking about replacing f-250 srw with f-350 dually towing Bighorn 3570 . Problem is they are hard to find in supercab 8' bed ,looks like I'll have to order it . my question is 6.2 gas or 6.7 diesel .2012 6.2 pulls fine the few times I've used it. Opinions would be appreciated.

There are many benefits to having the 6.7. I own a f450 with the 6.7 and a f250 with the 6.2 engine. The F250 fuel consumption is out of sight. We are presently looking to trade it for a diesel.

Thanks for replies .this will be daily drive into Boston. 6.2 gets avg 15mpg same as my 04 6.0 f250. 6.2 did whine some coming on to highways with incline but good the rest of the time . As for cars.com thanks but can't find supercab only crew cab and I don't fly good luck with your truck Oregon

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Good gas mileage and big truck are two phrases that just don't fit in the same sentence.

You can only have one of those two . . .

Find the truck you want that will do the job you want it to do . . . and buy it.

Gtoli

You either pay up front (cost of the diesel upgrade) or pay on the back end (Cost of fuel for a gas engine) Depends on what you can afford and when.
Pulling weight with a gas engine, even a large powerful gas engine, is questionable. And I've pulled with gas and diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

sengli

Another big thing to me anyway, the fact the diesel has an exhaust brake available for doing downhills. I have only owned a GM (2011), and now a RAM (2014) DRW diesel units for my towing. I dont really have any real big hills here, but you certainly might. I cant tell you how little I have to use my brakes to stop our rig normally. The exhaust braking is a wonderful thing.

Jv75353

I checked cars.com found two trucks. First one at Jacky Jones Ford in Georgia $52,475 2015 112 miles 4x4. The second at Sunsine Ford in California $60,480 2015 10 milles 4x2. Both trucks exterior color dark, black or close to it. The Georgia truck has the below bed 5th wheel system installed not sure if the California truck had this system. Both trucks are diesels. To bad part is that nether one is really close to you, but that's your call. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

mcolson84

I would go diesel all the way. My 2011 Powerstroke would have pulled circles around my field mechanic truck with a 6.2L. It ran ok for a gasser that weighed 13k all the time loaded with tools and a crane, but it was a dog on the hills and in deep mud. I averaged about 6.5-7 mpg on the highway. Never wanted to know what it averaged off the highway. Good luck. My 2011 Powerstroke I picked up out of Dallas. I found it on Ebay. It was an extended cab as well.

bobca1

+3 for exhaust brake! set the cruise, manually downshift into 4th, and it maintains the same speed all the way down freeway grades (lots out here in CA) without ever touching the brakes towing 15k. Amazing device!

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Update on the upgrade : Thanks for the replies just picked up my 2016 f-350 drw and yes I went with the 6.7 rather than the 6.2 . Not my first diesel just didn't want to spend the money where I should thanks for pointing out what I was trying to block out . Dealer had to get truck from Virginia to MA. , not much to choose from around here .