How Strong Is Your Truck Frame

SilverRhino

Saw this on the internet and found it to be interesting. This is a test between a 2014 Dodge and 2014 Ford pickup. Guess the Chevy could not make it up the ramp :)

NOTE: I do not have a horse in this race nor am I trying to start another Best Truck war......Just thought it was an interesting video. Chevy owners.....I was just kidding!!

http://www.nocarnofun.com/omg-this-is-huge-2014-ram-3500-vs-2014-ford-f350-frame-twisting-test/

Note: Did see the same test with a Chevy and it performed just like the Dodge.

sengli

Re: How Strong Is Your Frame

Wow the test makes a very dramatic point, but I am not sure what to think. I own a RAM, exactly like the one in the test. I would think the least amount of flex is better.

MTPockets

I'm not sure what this means.. I can't see an issue either way.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Is frame flexing a bad thing? Or a good thing?
Beats me.

Peace
Dave

Mburtsvt

I’m not sure what the test is trying to point out. I had both a Ram and Ford. In the end the Ram was more rough riding on the road and louder that the Ford. If I was rock crawling I would think the Ram would do better. I’m back with Ford for the next few years - I need the peace and quiet nowadays.

danemayer

It does seem to me like the flex would give you a softer ride. On the other hand, I'd have to wonder how much flex a piece of metal can repeatedly sustain without being weakened. I also have to wonder about whether more flex on the frame puts more stress on the components that are connected to the frame.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

So I have come to the conclusion that a bunch of guys finally found a way to occupy their free time.

Peace
Dave

Bones

Some flex in a frame is ok but too much is bad. A frame is designed to be mostly ridged and the suspension is suppose to do all of the work. Ford had a response for this and had something to do with our roads not doing that. Stand on a bridge sometime and feel the bridge move. That is good because if it was completely solid it would break apart.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Saw a similar ad several years ago between Ford and Chevy. Ford-no flex, Chevy-twisted like a pretzel. Point??? What goes around comes around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Back in a previous life I sold engineered multiple story industrial processing facilities. My chief engineer explained design flex and plasticity while standing on a small platform 200' up on a windy day, in response to my complaint that we needed to lighten the steel weights slightly to be more competitive.

kkamshop

I would like to see that test done while hitched to an 18000 lb 5th wheel. And then see which one sits level on level ground afterwards.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Saw this on the internet and found it to be interesting. This is a test between a 2014 Dodge and 2014 Ford pickup. Guess the Chevy could not make it up the ramp :)

I'm sure they didn't bother with the Chevy as they knew it didn't have these issues! :cool:

MTPockets

Skyscrapers are constructed to sway. If they were too rigid they would break.

Bones

What we have here folks is a simple case of BendGate.

dodge.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

I3uK1O2.jpg
images.jpg
QNdrQ.jpg
tacoma_frame_rot.jpg
TruckLiftRepair.jpg

GOTTOYS

Not having seen any Fords folded in half lately, does any of this matter? It doesn't to me. I would think the Ford Engineers would know what they are doing...Don