Power cord hatch mod

Dumboldles

Why does the hatch door open in the up position instead of just dropping down. Holding the hatch while attempting to guide the cord makes for an awkward/comperson experience. If the hatch just dropped down then would eliminate the hassle

Dumboldles

danemayer

Is your hatch frame mounted with a couple of sheet metal screws? Maybe you can take the screws out and rotate it.

Oregon_Camper

The door for the cord on my 2015 BH 3160 does drop down. However, the little hatch where the actual power button resides does flip up...which is strange. Guessing the reason is if it were to come open somehow, it will still lay flat and not have a big opening...??

Dumboldles

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if it may be an installation defect. I'll check to see if it is an easy fix
Dumboldles

OEFVET

I had the same issue with mine. Easy fix was to add a plastic door clip. You can get them at camping world.
49559n.jpg

Dumboldles

Yea, it was installed wrong, I'll just flip it around. Thanks for the suggestions and replies.
Dumboldles

jbeletti

In the past, I believe we always installed that hatch hinge-side down. A lot of people complained that it should be the other way. My guess is that feedback is what brought about the change.

Personally, I've had a bunch of coaches with the hinge at the bottom - I like it :)

Rotation of the hatch or adding the catch above the hatch door seem to be great mods.

pegmikef

Yeah, I like it on the bottom as it is easier to guide the cable and push the button at the same time.

JanAndBill

The hinges are on the bottom on ours, no complaints with that. The flimsy plastic door is another matter. When it finally breaks (and it will), I'll fabricate one in aluminum plate.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Having the lid flip up keeps the sun, rain and snow off of the cord and connection . . .

I like that better.

SHerrick

The hinges are on the bottom on ours, no complaints with that. The flimsy plastic door is another matter. When it finally breaks (and it will), I'll fabricate one in aluminum plate.

I have to agree! Compared to everything else on the RV, that plastic door is about the cheapest they could have found! Every time I work with that, I am amazed it is still there. There has to be an after market replacement for that thing that is sturdier. Has anybody found one?