where to get diesel

mecastle

a newbie question. when on the road with a diesel truck and pulling a 30 ft + 5th wheel, how do you know where you can get fuel. what places can you get your rig into without having to find a place to drop the trailer, get fuel, get hooked up, and on your way again. thanks for any replies.

MTPockets

I always fill with truck only as I have auxiliary tank; however, truck stops are always good when hooked up, and stations on interstates most often have room. Other than that, keep your eyes open for islands that have room to get in and out.

dbbls59

I always look before I pull into a station. I have never been in one that I could not get to the pump and get back out. Some times I have to back away from the pump to get out but it is doable. I try to use a end pump and this is where the diesel is most of the time anyway.

GregP

If you're not equipped with auxiliary fuel tanks, you will want to train yourself to start looking for fuel well before you need it. As stated in previous post, truck stops are good places for fuel access. When hooked up and entering some fuel islands, particularly off the main highways, watch your overhead clearance as you enter or exit...some can be pretty tight. When it appears close, I have the co-pilot get out and watch the roof and a/c for clearance. So far, no mishaps.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Gasbuddy.com is a good App to have on your phone. Has map, directions, and many stations have a street level photo for an idea of accessibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mecastle

the reason for the questions are because I have heard that truck stops are not necessarily friendly to rv's. not sure that there are any places that can fuel anything but a commercial rig. don't need to create any problems.

Geodude

I carry a pair of yellow 20L jerry cans as backup as my short box F-350 has a tiny bladder... There are good apps such as iExit and Truck Stop Locator that will help you see what's coming up.

travelin2

the reason for the questions are because I have heard that truck stops are not necessarily friendly to rv's. not sure that there are any places that can fuel anything but a commercial rig. don't need to create any problems.

Even if you fuel at a truck stop look for pumps labeled "auto" diesel. I've never had any problems with accessibility and they are usually located away from the heaviest truck traffic.

danemayer

You won't have any problems going through the truck lanes at truck stops. When you finish fueling, pull forward so the guy behind you can pull up to the pump.

Flying J/Pilot truck stops often have separate RV lanes up front. Sometimes I use them, but mostly I go through the truck lanes. And if your truck uses DEF, the bulk DEF at truck stops is way less expensive than buy jugs at Walmart.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Early on, we purchased an RV friendly travel guide called "Next Exit". It lists by exit on major interstates what's there (food, fuel, diesel, def, etc) and then labels ones in red if they are RV friendly. (They usually have higher awnings, room to park, that sort of thing).

It was invaluable to find places we could "fit", especially if you needed to eat or get fuel -- and we needed fuel every 200 miles with our old truck!

dlw930

I have a GPS with software specifically for RVs. It has a "What's Ahead" feature that lets me search for fuel stations and I look for truck stops such as Pilot/Flying J, Travel America, Loves, etc. if I'm towing. I plan to add an aux. fuel tank after the first of the year, so I can refuel with tow vehicle only. I've found that diesel prices are usually a few cents higher at truck stops than at c-stores and other retail stations.

mecastle

all this information is great. it is amazing that this forum has such helpful people. thanks a bunch. hope in the future, I may be able to offer some information that will be helpful. thanks again.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I did not see any one mention the discounts available at Flying J & Pilot truck stops The discount is 0.07 per gallon of Diesel, and they offer discounts on propane, too. Flying J has a RV lane on the auto side and parking for big vehicles. At Pilot I use the truck side, and if you pull up after fueling there will not be any issues with the big rigs. Both Pilot and Flying J have DEF at the truck islands, and it is about $2.79 per gallon. Much cheaper than the DEF in the blue box. I like the idea I can use their $$ free and get a small discount. I think this may be a better program than the one offered my Camping World. Here is the web site https://www.rvpluscard.com. OOPS, I see Danemayer mentioned Pilot and Flying J also.

avvidclif

Just a thought but I never stop at the Mom & Pop corner markets for diesel, always name brands and the bigger the better. It lessens the chances of contaminated or stale fuel. Besides if you get bad fuel and a huge repair bill good luck getting any reimbursement from Mom or Pop. I use GasBuddy and prefer Murphy as it's usually cheaper than anything else and I get a discount with the Wally world card. Some of their stations are really not RV friendly but I can always figure out a way to get in. And if I can get in I can get out, maybe backwards. Bad fuel, Wally World has deep pockets. Also due to the tiny bladder on my truck I carry 2 5 gal cans if we're going over 150mi. Never needed them yet but you never know.

My 2 cents worth, spend it wisely.

travelin2

Just a thought but I never stop at the Mom & Pop corner markets for diesel, always name brands and the bigger the better. It lessens the chances of contaminated or stale fuel. Besides if you get bad fuel and a huge repair bill good luck getting any reimbursement from Mom or Pop. I use GasBuddy and prefer Murphy as it's usually cheaper than anything else and I get a discount with the Wally world card. Some of their stations are really not RV friendly but I can always figure out a way to get in. And if I can get in I can get out, maybe backwards. Bad fuel, Wally World has deep pockets. Also due to the tiny bladder on my truck I carry 2 5 gal cans if we're going over 150mi. Never needed them yet but you never know.

My 2 cents worth, spend it wisely.

All the fuel for all the stations here in the valley from national brands, Sunoco say, to the no name corner stop, I-Fuel, all come out of the same tank farm here in the valley...Sunoco, Pilot, Flying J, Loves, etc.
The only thing to differentiate is the name on the side of the truck.

avvidclif

It's not about where it comes from originally, that I know. It's what's in the tanks you get it from and how old is it. There is winter and summer diesel.

donr827

The day before we will be traveling I use the Exit Now and plan fuel stops ahead of time. I look for Flying J with good rv parking and use it as a rest stop also.
Don

chaplady

If staying in an area for a bit ask the local people where to get fuel. I've gotten great information from many that have saved headaches. Bill

Diamondjim

Our first trip with our 5th wheel was 1350 miles (NY to FL). Found diesel easily, but a couple of times in "normal" non-truck fuel facilities it was difficult to locate the ONE diesel pump. Many were at the end of the island - last pump standing. It's good to plan your in and out. Other folks could care less that you need room to maneuver with a 35' 5er behind you, especially when they want their coffee and gas and go!
Plan ahead, DW gets real nervous about running on empty. Let's see, we've been married 51 years, have I ever run out of gas? NO! but I do bug her with the fuel gauge, just to see if she's paying attention.................

buddyboy

We purposely do try to not travel each day so far that we need to fuel up while hooked up. Personal preference. But if we do need to fuel up, we go to big truck stops - no stress in and out.