Bike Racks

Help - we are the proud owners of a new North Trail - planning our first trip to the Texas coast over the holidays. But - our daughter and her family will use the trailer over spring break (we are fine with this - they are very responsible and grew up around farm equipment and towing) but they want to attach a bike rack for 3 or 4 bikes on the back. While we are "ok" with the concept - I've read all sorts of comments on this site (can't find them now) that this might (?) violate some sort of warranty. Well, we are new at this and we don't want to do "it wrong" - nor - do we want them to have problems or even lose their bikes or cause trouble for another motorist - and of course we don't want to harm our beautiful new Tiny House. Please advise. Should we not consider a bike rack? or is there one that is better than another? or what? Need info here. thanks Marsha Barnhart

jbeletti

Does your NT have one of those pull-out storage racks on the back now?

If not - what is the bumper like? Can you post a picture of the rear of the RV?

It may be possible but needs to be done well. If you plan to carry bikes yourselves at some point of take the grand kids and their bikes at some point, then you may want to spend decent money on a well engineered and installed bike carrying apparatus.

If this is a one-off need, perhaps they can toss the bikes in the back of their tow vehicle or even on the roof. Perhaps lay a packing blanket on your RV bed and toss the bikes there and strap them down. Just ideas...

Oregon_Camper

You could always fabricate a hitch like the one I had built. You could easily haul bicycles on this type of setup, as I carry my motorcycle on mine.

Other option would be to have a hitch installed on front of the truck towing the trailer.

2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg IMG_1315.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We had the slide-out rear bumper on our old 2013 Heartland Trail Runner . . .

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

While I do kind of miss it for hauling the bikes, it was a major PITA sliding the bumper in and out and putting the bikes on it, plus go down a dirt road and the bikes get all covered with dust and mud.

Not too mention all of the bouncing around . . .

The pull-out rear bumper is only rated to hold 250 pounds . . . and the spare tire takes up some of that!

We are looking around for some lighter bikes and have been looking at the bumper-mount bike racks at Camping World.

Dean-Pam

We hauled out bikes and when we were not doing the bikes, we had a cargo tray, which held a small generator. The first thing I did was have a friend of mine, who was a certified welder, look at how the bumper was attached. He cautioned me not to haul anything because there was not enough weld to take all the bouncing due to our lovely roads. He rewelded the supports and added gussets. We have not had any problems.