Can LED Lights Produce Too Much Heat?

rxbristol

I was looking at replacing my porch light (1156) with an LED and I noticed I can get a 1200 lumen light that will fit. Will it produce too much heat? The highest lumens that Super Bright LEDs have is 550.

TxCowboy

I have LEDs throughout the RV and they produce very little heat. But none of them are in the 1200 lumen range.

RoadJunkie

According to Dr. Google, LEDs typically emit 1 watt/100 Lumens. So, in your case, 12 watts for 1200 lumens. But...that is based on the efficiency of the LEDs themselves. Whatever "drives" the LED is more uncertain when it comes to determining efficiency, and subsequent heat. Personally, I would try it and measure the heat with my laser targeted infrared thermometer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I tried to get the most lumens I could, because a dim bulb is useless. ;) compare to an incandescent equivalent to get an idea of brightness. A 100watt incandescent bulb gives off 1600 lumens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

I got one of those replacement LED's (many chips LEDS on it) and its runs cooler than the automotive bulb that was in there.

TxCowboy

I got one of those replacement LED's (many chips LEDS on it) and its runs cooler than the automotive bulb that was in there.

This is very true. In our old Greystone, we replaced the numerous 1151/1152 type automotive bulbs with LEDs. With the 1151/1152s, if you touched the lens cover, you'd get burned. Over time, the lens covers would turn milky white and have to be replaced.

With the LEDs, you could touch the lens covers with no problems whatsoever.

Also, most RV dealers and supply shops that sell LEDs have a display that shows how little amperage LEDs draw as compared to the regular style bulbs. It will also display the color of the LED lights which is another consideration based upon where in your RV you want to install them.

HTH. :)