• Register by end of day 5/1/2016
  • Site fee: $31 per night.
  • Club Member Event fee: 0
  • Non-Club Member fee: 0
  • Potluck: No
  • Potluck date:
  • Potluck time:

------------------------------
  • Event Leader: TGLBWH(click to contact)

Additional Info:
------------------------------
This would be a great way to kick off the Michigan camp season and was suggested to us by members Dennis and Jackie Bailey. It is a beautiful area on Lake Charlevoix and coincides with the National Morel Mushroom Festival (http://bcmorelfestival.com/) just a couple of miles from the campground. The festival has not posted any information other than the dates as of this time. This is a Michigan State Park and as with most, has only electric on site. Friends and family are welcome. If in need of any other information please feel free to contact me. If we have enough early response we may change this from a campout to a rally.
If you make reservations please let me know what site you are on and when you are arriving

1. Gerald and Debbie Atkinson site 50 May 10
2. Dennis and Jackie Bailey site 51 May 10
3. Mike and Diane Roberts site 18 May 11
4. Blake and Sue site 16 May 16

Last edited:

Oilman

The Festival hosts a Craft Beer Block Party on Thursday, May 12 includes food tasting from several nice restaurants in the Boyne City area. Far better than mushroom hunting is the beautiful display in the woods that are carpeted with trillium in bloom.IMG_1056.jpg

MikeR

Hi Gerry & Debbie, Dennis & Jackie, we are signed up for site 18 directly across the road from site 50. Our reservations are for the 11th - 15th. Looking forward to seeing all of you in Boyne City.

Mike & Diane Roberts

Miltp920

20140517_Boyne Mushroom_resized.jpg20140516snow at Boyne_resized.jpg20140516_snow boyne_resized.jpg20140513_Cyclone Boyne_resized.jpg20140513_from the Hill Boyne_resized.jpg
Boyne area Morel Festival weekend 2014. We saw all 4 seasons. Snow to Rain to 70 degrees. They said the morels would come out a week or two after we had to leave. They shipped in most of the morels for the festival. This was Chandler Hill Campground. Right next to MANY acres of state forest trails for ATVs. A little less commercial than we prefer, but it ended up being really nice.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Mike and Diane, Happy to see you are joining us. Hoping for good weather

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Hello TGLBWH, (forgive me I don't know what that stands for), we are new to the Heartland Rally/Camp Out events and hope to get involved this year.

Last spring we upgraded our 23’ Sunline to a new 2015 Landmark 365 Newport and spent summer doing odd weeks and weekends here and there just trying to get adjusted physically and mentally to the new rig. Its been a real head trip.....

I have had a few experiences at MI state parks, have read the blogs on Young's, and have a couple of questions hopefully you our one of the others here can help with.

I’m sure I’m just being a bit hypersensitive being a new big rig pilot but I wanted to ask about ease of getting in and out. Young reviews seem to say its big rig compatible but some say it’s a “bit tricky”. With Sites 1-51 the only ones open, do you know if there is a problem in getting in and out of that area or a recommended site?

The second question is regarding cell service. I need good cell service, either AT&T or Verizon. I have a home office and need to work on the weekdays from the trailer and hot spot my cell to the laptop, for hours on end. Is there any knowledge about cell quality in that area of the park?

Thanks for the patience with the newbie questions……

MikeR

Since Young State Park is just outside of Boyne City, I'm sure that both AT&T and Verizon will have cell service in the park. We got rid of AT&T a few years ago because we couldn't get a cell signal in so many places in northern Michigan. Since we switched to Verizon I can't recall anywhere we haven't had service. Last summer we were as far north as Copper Harbor and had cell service the whole time.

Join us at Young State Park, meet some nice people and have some fun.

Mike Roberts, Rochester Hills

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Since Young State Park is just outside of Boyne City, I'm sure that both AT&T and Verizon will have cell service in the park. We got rid of AT&T a few years ago because we couldn't get a cell signal in so many places in northern Michigan. Since we switched to Verizon I can't recall anywhere we haven't had service. Last summer we were as far north as Copper Harbor and had cell service the whole time.

Join us at Young State Park, meet some nice people and have some fun.

Mike Roberts, Rochester Hills

Copper Harbor is one of my favorite places!

CopperHarbor.jpg

We used to go camping up there a lot before we left southern Michigan for Colorado!

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Thanks for the response and welcome. I checked both AT&T's and Verizon coverage maps. The both show coverage in 3G but not 4G. The same as Ludington. I suspect Young is better as the loop we were at in Ludington was down in a valley. There is always McDonnals 3.9 miles away.��
Thanks
Blake

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Ok, after checking the AT&T and Verizon service maps, it seems to have 3G service but not 4G, which is survivable. If that does not work McDonald's is 3.9 miles away.....

SO...... I'm all in. I booked site 16 from May 6th through May 15th.

I'm excited to do my first Heartland outing and meet all of you folks!

Also, i'm not sure if the better half will make joining me on the weekends yet or not. She teaches 3rd grade so, the week days are definitely out for her.

Let me know if I need to bring anything to support the event or just in general.

Any euchre players in the group?

JohnD

Any euchre players in the group?

We play euchre . . . but of course, we are former Michiganderers (born and raised in Jackson - where the prison is).

Nobody out here in Colorado has ever heard of the game, so we play when we have family out here from Michigan!

We are hoping to make it back for a Michigan HOC Rally some day in the near future!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
John, we play Euchre every Christmas with my wife's family. We have a tournament and usually 4-5 tables of players. The youngest players start about ages12-13 and the oldest is yours truly and I have never won it. :(

We play euchre . . . but of course, we are former Michiganderers (born and raised in Jackson - where the prison is).

Nobody out here in Colorado has ever heard of the game, so we play when we have family out here from Michigan!

We are hoping to make it back for a Michigan HOC Rally some day in the near future!

JohnD

John, we play Euchre every Christmas with my wife's family. We have a tournament and usually 4-5 tables of players. The youngest players start about ages12-13 and the oldest is yours truly and I have never won it. :(

Does that mean that we might get a little euchre going at Buena Vista or Mountaindale?????????

Might be the start of sum'thin!

By the way . . . I loose more than I win . . . so nobody wants to be my partner . . . :p

TGLBWH

Debbie and I are up for Euchre almost anytime. we often play at different clubs in our area. Looking forward to being in Boyne and tax season over with.

JohnD

Maybe not this year . . . but sometime in the very near future . . . a Eurchre tournament is in the offing!

We have a couple of HS Class Reunions coming up . . . so will try to make one of them along with an HOC Rally!

By the by . . . we are originally from Jackson, MI . . . born and raised!

TGLBWH

Too bad you couldn't get here this year John, since we are in Marshall Michigan (not far from Jackson). You could do Heartland and old home stuff all at the same time. but Euchre is definitely in the offing.

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Well I finished up my work stuff and was able to head out earlier and my site #16 was available so I could set up and not have to move. I got here today around 5 PM and I'm settled in.

The Sanitation station is not open and you cannot fill you fresh water tank or rise your black water when you check out.

There is a fountain with spigots, one across from the restrooms between sites 7 and 8. You might want to pull off and fill up before you set up.

If you don't want to do that bring some extra hose. There is also one next to my site 16. The spigot shown on the map is not right. The spigot is actually across from the 50 site dot below the 16 dot on the map.

Hope that helps and see you all soon!

TGLBWH

thanks Blake, We may be pulling in on Monday and hopefully they will get some of that working by then. Is the bath house open?

Status
Not open for further replies.