Ice Maker Winterization

jdfishing

I am in the process of winterizing my ice maker on the Norcold refrigerator in my Bighorn. Think I have it figured out, between the factory recommendations and the Forum info. Just wanted to confirm the "water supply valve" is behind the UDC. Also, should I use some air to blow out the lines? The factory doesn't mention that.

danemayer

Hi John,

I would use compressed air. The poly line used for the refrigerator water feed line may retain the taste of antifreeze more so than your pex lines. Also, depending on the design of the refrigerator, sometimes antifreeze feeding into the refrigerator can make quite a mess.

Your cutoff valve may be behind the UDC, in which case you'd have to take down the pass through storage rear wall by the UDC. Before looking there, get a flashlight and check under the cabinets near the refrigerator and under/next to the sink. On a 2013, I'd guess you might find it in the kitchen. It's teed off of the blue pex line.

hoefler

Disconnect the water line from the valve on both sides, manually cycle the ice maker a couple of times. Gravity will drain the line and valve.

jdfishing

Hi John,

I would use compressed air. The poly line used for the refrigerator water feed line may retain the taste of antifreeze more so than your pex lines. Also, depending on the design of the refrigerator, sometimes antifreeze feeding into the refrigerator can make quite a mess.

Your cutoff valve may be behind the UDC, in which case you'd have to take down the pass through storage rear wall by the UDC. Before looking there, get a flashlight and check under the cabinets near the refrigerator and under/next to the sink. On a 2013, I'd guess you might find it in the kitchen. It's teed off of the blue pex line.

Well, based on your suggestion, I found it the first placed I looked. It was located under the island kitchen sink. Seems like a very reasonable place to locate it. Thanks Dan, for saving me a lot of time unloading and reloading my basement. I am a little confused on the use of compressed air though. After disconnecting the lines from the solenoid, some water ran out, but blowing air into them wouldn't seem to be of use, since both ends are closed by a valve.

danemayer

I am a little confused on the use of compressed air though. After disconnecting the lines from the solenoid, some water ran out, but blowing air into them wouldn't seem to be of use, since both ends are closed by a valve.

You do have to trigger the solenoid(s) while applying air pressure. The Dometic RM1350 manual has a section that explains how to manually start an ice maker cycle and perhaps your Norcold manual explains the same thing.

Another approach is to build a cheater cord to electrically operate the solenoid. Take a look at our Winterization Guide pages 9-11. It's written to the RM1350, but you can probably adapt it all to your Norcold.