Bad mattress or bed frame

azbigfoot

Over a year ago I bought a new king mattress for our Landmark because the original mattress was so horrible. On the old mattress my wife and I would end up in the huge sag at the middle of the bed. Sore backs and hips were the norm. The new mattress is much butter but I still think my wife and I gravitate to each other in the middle of the bed (insert your own jokes here).

Well yesterday one of the cable covers (board with carpeting on it) fell off and blocked/kept the bedroom slide from going out. To reinstall it I had to take off the mattress and the plywood covering the bed frame. What I discovered is there is almost zero support (other than the plywood) for the middle of the mattress at the head of the bed. I've added some pictures showing the problem.

After looking at the pictures I'm wondering why Heartland used just two screws (mine aren't even in the wall and allow the 2x2 to sag) to try to hold the head frame support to the wall instead of just putting blocks underneath? Any ideas? I imagine this causes quite a few back problems and sleepless nights for many folks. I'd like to add some blocks but don't want to if there is a good engineering reason (other than weight reduction) behind the screws.

Attachments

• Topview.JPG
    Topview.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 59
  • sideview.JPG
    sideview.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 59

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the carped area under the 2x2's in question moves with the slide I would see no problem adding support blocks under them.
Looks like another 2x2 would do the trick and would only have to be secured with screws from above.

Peace
Dave