Rear of 3200 re

Bruce11

I bought a new 3200 sundance re in 2012. Since that time the rig has gone back to Elkhart, IN 2 times for frame issues & a large section of the floor by the door slide was rotten w/in 1.5 years of ownership. We use the rig a few times a year & I check the seals every 6 months. Last year the rear of the rig by the ladder starting rotting. I resealed the seams, but when I winterized the rig today it appears to be getting worse. 3 questions, has anyone else had water damage by the rear of unit, if so how did you fix it & lastly is this normal for theses units to have so many structural problems. We love the floor plan & really enjoy using the rig, but at this rate I don't think the 3200 will see 8 years. For the most part the appliances are holding up although our water heater has failed. Any thoughts would be appreciated. By the way Heartland stepped up for the last major issues & we are grateful.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A leak like that usually is caused by water entering up near the roof line and infiltrating down. The only fix I know of is to completely reseal all the roof seams at the rear of the roof, around the ladder and along the rear sides. Getting the source of the water stopped is a must.

Bruce11

Thanks Gus! I looked again & found quarter size slits in the caulk. I check the roof annually, but somehow missed these spots. 3 tubes of caulk later & I think it's ok. No RV is without repairs, but we have experienced more the the average bear. Thank goodness Heartland usually backs their products, probably one of the few. Thanks again

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you have a rear window, check around the edges of it also for gaps. Also make sure the weep holes at the bottom of the window aren't blocked. Haven't seen you guys since American Heritage a few years ago. Hope everything gets fixed OK.

Bruce11

Thanks again, I checked the seal around Windows & all the seams on the body 2 months ago. I applied sealant several places. Yes the weep holes are not blocked. I don't know why I did not check the roof, duh!! Keep thinking the water was coming in through exterior walls. I will need to start checking the roof every 6 months along w the walls. We were going to go to American heritage this fall, but had to cancel last minute. The outer banks down route 12 has been our favorite place for years. We did camp in Charlestown, SC this spring. Hope you guys are doing well. I can't remember the other couple you guys travel with, but they have a big horn & 2500 dodge w a golf cart behind 5er. Are they also ok? Both of you guys are a class act!