Roof coming up

sanbullet

I have a 2013 San Antonio landmark and I love the trailer . But I have an issue with the roof. I was up on roof getting it ready for winter and noticed that the wood under the rubber roof is raising up and delamanating from the roof framing seems like the glue used to attach the Luan wood to foam is failed . I guess I need to call heartland and see if they can help I have never seen anything like this .there is no water damage any where and I have Also resealed the roof where needed .
image.jpg

sengli

Due to the way the roof panels and the walls, are laminated together. I would know how you could fix this. If there isnt any apparent signs of water intrusion, it could be just a small area of the roof material wasnt glued down.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That looks like the roof may be sagging between the cross beams of the ceiling.

Our old 1978 Coachman TT was doing that when we bought it, although I think the previous owners had been walking on the roof, and that trailer was not designed for that kind of weight on the roof.

danemayer

If that's an air conditioner on the left, you should inspect to see if water/condensation is leaking into the roof structure.

As for repairing the luan, I'd guess there are two choices:

1. replace part or all of the roof, cutting and taking up the old luan and Dicor rubber and gluing down new material. The old luan layer probably won't come off easily and you'll need to sand down the surface before gluing down new luan. If you replace just part of the roof, you'll have seams that will probably best be covered with Eternabond tape.

2. you might try putting in a few small holes and injecting adhesive to see if you can secure the existing luan, on the assumption that it's undamaged from water intrusion.

sanbullet

It's happening other places on the roof. I can't find any where water is coming in . I wonder if it got yo humid inside the coach could this cause it .It is like the wood is just coming unglued from the block foam roof structures. I need to call heartland and see if they would help with repair . I am only about 8 hrs from there plant.

danemayer

From your earlier threads, it seems like this has been going on for over 6 months and is getting worse. Maybe it's time to get another set of eyes on the problem.

wehavefun

How about take it to the national rally in Las Vegas. There will be lots of ideas to get it repaired correctly there. It's pretty close to you this year.

John T Bettencourt

My 09 Landmark was that way after one year old. I sent pictures to Heartland and was told there was no problem and that this was normal. I had a new roof put on two years ago and it is nice and flat now. For some reason they do not attach roof to every cross member.

donr827

My 09 Landmark was that way after one year old. I sent pictures to Heartland and was told there was no problem and that this was normal. I had a new roof put on two years ago and it is nice and flat now. For some reason they do not attach roof to every cross member.

Too late for you now but when I had a problem with my roof on my previous trailer my mechanic, not a dealer, called the factory direct with me standing there. He was able to explain the problem a lot better then I could and took the pictures they wanted. Warranty work was approved in a few hours.
Don

MdMike

I had an issue with my 2011 Elkridge 5th wheel. The roof had water damage in the rear corner where the ladder was mounted. I weighed the costs:
1.) Replace and repair roof $3200 (replace rotted wood and rubber on 1/2 of roof).
2.) Replace rotted wood and replace entire rubber roof $4500.
3.) Remove rubber and replace rotted wood with treated plywood, Prep and spray a new roof on $5100...

I opted for number 3.
It is a spray on roof process similar to a bedliner. Has the same UV ratings as most spray in liners. will not fade.
No Maintenance, No caulking everything is sealed. It is a very clean job and was professionally done in the Baltimore area.
It has a 20 year leak free warranty.
The wood that was replaced was NOT the OSB type that was there but was treated plywood. It was a 20"x20" repair.

The leak was found in the area of the trim piece at the roof/rear wall area. There had been an eternabond tape repair, probably by the dealer where a tree limb most likely fell and tore the rubber. However, when they replaced the trim piece the ran a screw right thru the eternabond.
OSB is like a sponge and soaked the water up like a sponge.

This roof replacement is newer to the market, and while expensive, with the warranty it seems worth it. I do know that it is lighter then the rubber roofing material so there is no additional weight. The only weight increase was the replacement plywood but at the size area that was replaced it is minimal.