Leak in fridge

travlingman

I have the Frigidaire residential fridge in my rig. I took it to dealer to have a water leak fixed in the feed line coming into slide from the outside. They winterized camper while it was there. This weekend I hooked up water to confirm leak fixed. Checked outside and no leak. Checked fridge to make sure ice maker working, good to go. Opened fridge side, side by side type, and bottom of fridge full of water. Pulled out drawers and found in back of fridge, the water line coming in is wrapped around a fixture, double wrapped, to allow the water to cool before in door water dispenser. Felt tubing and found that is where the leak is. Dealer didn't do anything to fridge to winterize it. It looks like they ran pink stuff up to outside valve and didn't blow out fridge. Lines inside froze and now I have a leak.

Got a trip planned so I want to fix. Has anyone ever replaced the water line inside fridge? Can it be done without taking fridge out of slide? What type of tubing is used? I tried blowing air but couldn't find leak, but I haven't unwrapped tubing yet. Could a person just cut the line where it starts to wrap and splice in new line if I can't find the leak to splice there? This looks the easiest to me so far, but I haven't had time to really look at line routing in fridge so far.

danemayer

Hi travlingman,

Sorry your having these problems. You might be able to replace just the area that's damaged. If it's 1/4" poly tubing, you can find that at just about any hardware store. Several people have repaired 1/4" poly lines using hardware store fittings.

If it's not 1/4" poly, your best bet might be to contact Fridgidaire parts.

If the dealer also left the refrigerator water filter installed, it may also have freeze damage.

For next time you winterize, we have an owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide that includes detailed instructions on how to winterize the Frigidaire unit.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about the Frigidaire, but the cooling coil of poly line was replaced in our home Jenn-air refrigerator and came as a coiled unit.
So as Dan mentioned it might be a good idea to call Frigidaire although it might be worth a try to manufacture your own coil.

Peace
Dave

travlingman

Looks bigger than the 1/4 poly and even appears to be a different type of plastic. Will try calling Frigidaire and see if they can help. Yes, they left the filter in too. I was originally afraid they had pumped pink stuff in it but now know it didn't make it that far.

Have used the guide and it helped with the ice maker. Probably need to show it to my dealer so they know how to winterize one.

travlingman

Got to check and mine is tubing wrapped around the holder 2 times. Hopefully this weekend I can try to take apart.

busted2341

I can weigh in here. I too had the feed line water leak, in two different places. Had them fixed onsite. What I discovered though was the routing with tis thin cheap line was the cause. The first line was rubbing the frame directly under the island area in the belly. This routing should have been different with a simple tie strap. The second fridge water leak was at the back of the fridge, ice make line. This time it was crimped from all the slack when Heartland installed the fridge at the factory. I had it fixed and used regular residential water line to sole that problem along with pulling slack as the fridge was placed back in place. We love the Heartland Product, as this is out 4th Heartland but I would expect better at this level. I certainly would follow those lines and replace with residential lines and route to clear any rubbing etc so, with these lines at least, your mind will be at ease.