Update on ZEP refinishing of my Bighorn 3400RE...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
In 2012 I, along with some others, refinished my trailer with ZEP. At this time I am refinishing my trailer with ZEP again. It is easier this time and doing just as well.

For those that have never seen or heard of this here is an old CLOSED thread about what was done.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/35053-Refinished-my-BH-3400RE-with-ZEP

It has taken me a few days to do this and my SIL and grandson has helped me but it is doable if you are alone.
We washed my trailer down real good then used the ZEP Heavy Duty Floor Stripper to clean and remove the old finish. I do sections at a time to try and not over do it.

Hope you all have a fantastic Merry Christmas.. And remember to keep Christ in Christmas.

BC

GOTTOYS

I did the rear cap on mine a couple years ago. It did look good for about a year then started to turn white and looked even worse. It was difficult to get off. I used stripper straight out of the can and had to do that twice. Had it painted now it it looks good. I hope you have better luck than I did...Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Don.. Not sure how yours worked but mine is shining like a mirror. I have put 6 coats on the rear cap and so far 2 or 3 around the rest of the trailer. I plan to put about 8 coats on the front cap and 4 or 5 on the sides. Sorry to hear yours did not work out very well..

BC

GOTTOYS

I did 5 or 6 coats on my rear cap after scrubbing with Bartenders Friend, TSP and all that. It looked just great. One Winter facing south in the AZ sun just killed it. It started to flake off and then the fiberglass underneath turned white and it was looking awful. Had to scrub like crazy to get it all off. Had it painted after that. I could see using it for a quick shine if I was trading it off but I don't think it's a permanent fix..JMHO..Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We used the Zeb on our previous Landmark. It shined better than new. Never did get white even after 2 years. I would use it again if needed. I think the key is into the cleaning and preparation prior to application.