Colorado Chapter Rallies 2017

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I am starting this thread to collect ideas for possible locations for our Chapter Rallies for 2017. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions for specific campgrounds. We need to schedule these ASAP as many groups schedule about a year in advance for their groups.

We are thinking maybe one in the southwest part of the state or maybe in the northern part.

[SUB]We also still have sites available for the Buena Vista Rally May 12-15, 2016, and for the Colorado Springs Rally Sept. 15-18, 2016. Please check the forum for more info on the 2016 Rallies.

CO Spring Rally May 2016 Buena Vista, CO //heartlandowners.org/showt...136#post448136

CO Fall Rally Sept. 2016 Colorado Springs //heartlandowners.org/showt...907#post436907

Gregg
[/SUB]

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gregg,
Just two cents from a neighbor. I think the southwest could draw more from the four corners states and possibly even California. Maybe somewhere in the Mesa Verde, Cortez area? Thanks, Trace

gwalter

Thanks Trace. That was brought up at our fall rally and seems to be a natural choice. The fall would be a good time for that area also.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We like the Spruce lake rv park in Estes Park. The spaces are more spread apart than any of the other parks up there and it is well kept as well with a restaurant gas station and a convenience store an easy walk away. The shuttle to town stops right there as well. Other than that the only other park we like is the Lakeside KOA in North Fort Collins. Not the Wellington one which is right by a feed lot and houses many of the oil and gas full timers. Anna and I really look forward to a SW rally

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think Durango is a very nice place to stay. I would also like to go back to Rifle Gap SP.

Yes to both!

The rally at Rifle Gap was awesome last year . . . would love to go back there for another campout!

And Durango or Mesa Verde would be a great area for a rally!

Another great place would be the Royal Gorge . . . we have an 'in' with a campground there!

Attachments

• RoyalGorgeBridgeFromCableCar-P1060865.jpg
    RoyalGorgeBridgeFromCableCar-P1060865.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 26
  • MesaVerde-P8187307.jpg
    MesaVerde-P8187307.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 26
  • MesaVerde-P8187269.jpg
    MesaVerde-P8187269.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 26
  • RoyalGorgeBridge-P1060810.jpg
    RoyalGorgeBridge-P1060810.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 26

JohnD

We like the Spruce lake rv park in Estes Park. The spaces are more spread apart than any of the other parks up there and it is well kept as well with a restaurant gas station and a convenience store an easy walk away. The shuttle to town stops right there as well. Other than that the only other park we like is the Lakeside KOA in North Fort Collins. Not the Wellington one which is right by a feed lot and houses many of the oil and gas full timers. Anna and I really look forward to a SW rally

We stayed at Manor RV Park in Estes Park last year (2014) . . . just across the river from Spruce Lake . . . and we had a blast!

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg EstesParkElk2014-IMGP0732.jpg

We've also been wanting to stay at Lakeside KOA in Ft. Collins!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not Colorado residents, but in Durango, we really like Durango Riverside Resort. Alpine Rose seemed like a nice park as well with good sized sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

We stayed at the Durango KOA a few years back (the one on the hill) . . . was a nice place with lots of sites.

gwalter

Thanks for all the comments so far. From what I am hearing it sounds like Fort Collins Lakeside KOA north and the Durango area would be two good choices for 2017. I would suggest the Durango area in the fall as the colors are gorgeous. Then we could look at Fort Collins in the spring. There will be less chance of snow in the high mountains in middle of September than an early May. Please keep the ideas coming thanks.
Gregg

gwalter

Three campgrounds have been mentioned in Durango as possibilities for a fall rally. They are Alpen Rose, Lightner, and United. Does anyone have experience in staying at any of these.

Thanks
Gregg

JohnD

Three campgrounds have been mentioned in Durango as possibilities for a fall rally. They are Alpen Rose, Lightner, and United. Does anyone have experience in staying at any of these.

Thanks
Gregg

We stayed at the Durango KOA five years ago for three nights and enjoyed our visit . . .

That is our only Durango campground experience . . .

StarryNight

When I became Chapter Leader in the fall of 2012 the rally in Durango (May 2013) had already been set-up by the previous Chapter Leader and Wagon Master. It was at the United Campground.
Some pluses: right next to the Silverton site-seeing railroad tracks...an old-time wood burning train going by twice a day (am & pm), free trolley car pick-up/drop-off at the entrance (went to downtown Durango with several drop-off points along the way), just a few miles from the Honeyville Store where we taste-tested different flavors of Mead, and down the hill from the town of Silverton.
Negative: there wasn't any type of meeting room...thankfully weather cooperated :)
It may be different now...so it's a good idea to do some checking on the meeting room and even the trolley route.
The campground was all gravel with quite a few cottonwoods.
There are several campgrounds close to Mesa Verde NP that sound/look real nice (United Campground was about an hour away fro Mesa Verde).

JohnD

When I became Chapter Leader in the fall of 2012 the rally in Durango (May 2013) had already been set-up by the previous Chapter Leader and Wagon Master. It was at the United Campground.
Some pluses: right next to the Silverton site-seeing railroad tracks...an old-time wood burning train going by twice a day (am & pm), free trolley car pick-up/drop-off at the entrance (went to downtown Durango with several drop-off points along the way), just a few miles from the Honeyville Store where we taste-tested different flavors of Mead, and down the hill from the town of Silverton.
Negative: there wasn't any type of meeting room...thankfully weather cooperated :)
It may be different now...so it's a good idea to do some checking on the meeting room and even the trolley route.
The campground was all gravel with quite a few cottonwoods.
There are several campgrounds close to Mesa Verde NP that sound/look real nice (United Campground was about an hour away fro Mesa Verde).

I've got some Fireball . . . would you still like to be our Chapter Leader?????

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've stayed at Durango Riverside Resort a few times. I believe they have a meeting room. Right on the Animas River. They have nice amenities as well. Alpine Rose looks nice, have driven though there. Sites at United seemed very close together, when we drove through there.

gwalter

Erica, thanks for the info on the Riverside Campground.
-----------

Monica, I see that the reviews are good for a couple of the campgrounds by Mesa Verde. That may be a place we want to consider as we have been in that area but never camped there. I think I will check more on those also. Hope we get a good turnout at the Meet & Greet next week and can discuss these options then.

Mrsfish

Rick and I have stayed at Lightner Creek RV park several times. Pros- very quiet, friendly, clean, beautiful- lots of big trees and a creek running around and through the campground. Cons- wifi is non existent unless you are next to the office. No cable and no meeting room. Neutral - they have some bigger spaces ( for our 42' friends) but they are limited. Half of the park is full hookup, the other half is water and electric. Might be able to put a group in either place, just need to plan in advance as this park is full every time we've been there. Lots of repeaters. His park is located well (2-3 miles in a quite valley) off the highway from Cortez to Durango, a couple of miles before you come to Durango.

danemayer

Thanks
Gregg

We stayed at Alpen Rose 2 nights in 2011. My recollection is that the spaces were a bit close together and I think the space was a bit short to park trailer and truck together.

Mrsfish

Part 2!! - Alpine Rose is a nice park also. Old part of the park is very, very small. Our old 32' barely fit, but there were beautiful trees and it was very quiet. The front (or new part) of the park can handle any size rig. Lots of space, but virtually no trees- just a open meadow type park, it is also closer to the highway noise. There is a meeting room and the people were very nice to work with. On the road out of Durango and on your way to silverton.