Original dinner table damaged upon delivery - terrible factory remedy response

kbausano

I hate to have my first post be a negative - but the frustration level is high. Thus....

Wife and I purchased a 2016 Bighorn 3760 that arrived in August with a damaged table leaf. Small problem - anticipate an easy replacement remedy. What we have gotten in 4 months has been nothing short of stunning incompetency. Factory choose to send a complete table top with leaf - a nice gesture for sure, but unnecessary (included shipping to CA from Indiana: not cheap for a now-heavy item). That would have soothed our disappointment over a 3+ month delay, however the table top was not even the same model nor size (and way too big to allow slide to close).

So MORE emails and calls to our Michigan dealer, including photos, exact measurements of original table as well as a reminder of the model of 5th wheel this was to go in. Certainly, no one in management would want to make a similar mistake and waste of money and time needed to not get the followup correct, right?

How wrong I was. Early this week we received a 2nd whole table, shipped and packaged quite efficiently and safely, if not frustratingly delayed (now close to 5 months post-purchase). THIS table was even MORE wrong than the first, being nearly 6 inches too long for the slide to close (and yes, without the table extension in).

My guess would be these two table tops would cost retail somewhat north of $600 each if purchased direct (if not much more). And what worries me more over the long term is the gross incompetence on so many levels exhibited by Heartland over this issue, that spills over into concern for items that are not perhaps so easily remedied. (We have slide wear that is damaging our hard flooring in the main cabin, for example).

Im hoping Heartland monitors these forums in some manner, or that someone here on the forum has a factory contact that has the corporate stones to intercede in a responsible way. We looked long and hard before choosing Heartland for our first major 5th wheel purchase, and would hate to think we might have been snookered.

Any help is appreciated!

Ken & Deidra Bausano
Bakersfield, Ca

danemayer

Hi Ken,

Sorry you're having this problem.

Heartland is responding to what the dealer tells them, so why don't you cut out the middleman and call Heartland Customer Service directly at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. It would also probably help to have a couple of clear pictures of the table and leaf, ready to email, along with measurements that you already have.

I think the plant may be closed for the holidays, but perhaps Customer Service is still open. If not, you'll have to wait until after New Years.

Lynn1130

I wonder if you are blaming Heartland for the dealer's miscommunication. Have you spoken to Heartland directly? They are but a phone call away (Customer Service) and I have found them to be very helpful. A call with your VIN should give them the specs they need for the top but just in case have photos and measurements that you can e-mail to them.

Putting a third person between you and Heartland in this may well be the issue and not Heartland's CS Department or Parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha-Dane beat me to the "enter" button

kowAlski631

I agree - call Heartland yourself. Dealers can be less than clear in communications. We've found that when we have called Heartland ourselves, they have been responsive and accurate in providing what we need.

B

BouseBill

WOW!..Our 2015 BigHorn had the same problem. Dining Table had scratches, sooooo Heartland replaced the entire table top.....correctly and through the Dealer, UPSed to our winter address.
Just lucky I guess LOL

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Our tabletop was split when we got it. I went to Camping World here (not the dealer we purchased from) with a picture of the top and our VIN. They contacted Heartland and in 2 weeks we had a new table.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our's had some damage noticed by our dealer during the PDI. THEY ordered a new one and replaced it a couple of weeks later when we stopped in on our way to a nearby CG for our first outing with the rig.

TxCowboy

Totally agree with the comments above about contacting HL directly. With this history you provided, the issue is already in the HL system so have them send it directly to you. Having the dealer install it is up to you but definitely contact HL yourself.

kbausano

Thanks to everyone that replied. We definitely will contact HL support directly, as all our previous attempts were filtered through the dealer system. And you're correct - the chance that miscommunication between dealer and factory is one factor I need to remove if at all possible. I'll update when possible

danemayer

Thanks to everyone that replied. We definitely will contact HL support directly, as all our previous attempts were filtered through the dealer system. And you're correct - the chance that miscommunication between dealer and factory is one factor I need to remove if at all possible. I'll update when possible

One other thought. I'm wondering if there was a mid-year change of furniture within a few days of the time your rig was built. You might ask Customer Service to check into that before they actually order parts for you.

Gaffer

This was already posted in this thread but be sure to have your VIN handy.