Double Towing With The Sundance 2900RK

Milder

Hello all,

I received my Sundance 2900RK this past Friday. I ordered it from the factory with a Class III hitch and had it pre-wired. I plan on pulling my 19' Fourwinns ski boat behind it, which weighs about 3400lbs. Total overall length will be somewere around 69', a tad over the legal length (four feet over). The boat also has its own surge brakes.

Has anyone attempted/done this with the Sundance unit!

Hopefully I will not experence any problems!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
How where you able to get the factory to install a class III hitch? Are you sure it wasn't your dealer doing the install?

Just curious as this has been brought up many many times before and Heartland is adament that they will not install a hitch on a trailer of their's mostly because of possible problems down the road that they do not want to be a part of.

Good luck
Mark

Milder

Hi Mark,

My wife and I first came across the Heartland Sundance here in Phoenix at the annual RV Show at the downtown Civic Plaza a couple of months ago. During the show the salesman introduced us to the factory rep. who advised us that a class III hitch could be installed on the unit, but he did not recomend towing more than 2500lbs with it.

Now, the question would be wheather the dealer actually did the install or was it completed at the factory!

fishn2dmax

I have a 2900 MK with a professionally custom designed / fabricated class III hitch and pull a 18' alum boat once in awhile. Based on 16 years experience pulling doubles with my previous 5'ers and pulling various tag-along trailers, I do NOT recommend you pull anything much over 3000 lbs behind your new Sundance. That said, I don't think you'll have any problem unless you encounter an abnormal situation ( high winds, blown tire, advoidance swerve, fast stop). At 3500 lbs, you'll be right on the edge of the tail wagging the dog, so take it slow and easy and pull over if you encounter any high speed gusty winds ( point rig into the wind if possible). My only real scare involved high cross winds (+ 65 MPH) while decending a steep grade; wish I had worn disposable underwear that day :) !

Milder

Thanks "fishn2dmax",

Double towing here in Arizona is very common. For the most part, the highways are straight and flat. I make the family summer trip to Lake Havasu once a year (with the boat, however this will be a first with the 5'ther), so it won't be something I do on a regular basis.

Thank You, I do appreciate your input!