ATF: Gateway - Inverter Outlet

Readyout

I have a 2015 3500RE that has an inverter that run the Refrigerator. I noticed the outlet in the slide with the couch is also powered by this inverter. Is there any other outlet powered by the inverter? How many watts is the inverter rated at? How many watts does the Refrigerator require? Thanks

danemayer

Hi Readyout,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The plant is closed until after the holidays so you may not get an answer here.

On most models, the inverter output is dedicated to the residential refrigerator, but I have heard that on a few models, Heartland has also used it to provide power to a nearby outlet or two.

If you look in your front compartment, which is probably where the inverter is located, you may be able to spot the model number and look up the output rating spec on the manufacturers website.

If you have a 22 cu. ft. Frigidaire refrigerator, it very likely draws close to 1000 watts when the compressor starts. If Heartland used a 1000 watt inverter on your coach (as they have used on other models), that extra outlet might not be very useful when you're running on battery power. But when on shore power, that outlet would still probably have around 800 watts available if it's powered through a 15 amp circuit breaker. More if it's a 20 amp breaker.

Readyout

Thanks Dan, very helpful.

My goal is to be able to watch TV and run some fans without running a generator when dry camping overnight while traveling.

I knowledgeable in electrical but I don't want to recreate the wheel, so I like to do things that have already been done and tested. If someone has upgraded their inverter and add power to other outlets in fifth wheel I would be interested in how they did it. I have read through forum and not seeing what I looking for. Maybe it here and I not looking in the right place.

Thanks

Harry

danemayer

Thanks Dan, very helpful.

My goal is to be able to watch TV and run some fans without running a generator when dry camping overnight while traveling.

I knowledgeable in electrical but I don't want to recreate the wheel, so I like to do things that have already been done and tested. If someone has upgraded their inverter and add power to other outlets in fifth wheel I would be interested in how they did it. I have read through forum and not seeing what I looking for. Maybe it here and I not looking in the right place.

Thanks

Harry

Harry,

To boondock without generator power, you'll need more batteries and a solar installation to keep the batteries charged. I'd suggest you browse the Solar Power sub-forum here for threads where people have described their solutions.