dome vent replacement

myla296

For those that have done it, what should I be mindful of? For example...
-size
-other options that exist?
-silicone is my friend?

and other stuff like that. (I'm replacing it since it is dry rotted and I can see sky through it)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bobby A

They make several different ones, the difference is the hinge side, when I've replaced mine on previous units, I would remove the old one and take it with me to match it up instead of running back and forth to the parts store.

rxbristol

They make several different ones, the difference is the hinge side, when I've replaced mine on previous units, I would remove the old one and take it with me to match it up instead of running back and forth to the parts store.

I've replaced one and Bobby's advice is spot on.

Crumgater

We just replaced the vent cover in the bathroom a few months ago... but just the plastic lid piece (double-checked sizing to get the right one online) - and it went on in about 10 minutes. The plastic on ours was so brittle (on a 5 year old Elkridge), it disintegrated while driving down the highway... somewhere between Yakima and Seattle... sorry to who-ever was behind us. We had no clue it was in bad shape. :(

I we were to replace it completely, I'd get another fantastic fan (or equivalent)... for better, quieter fan ventilation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Haven't done it on the rig, but I did have to replace one on our FD equipment trailer after an icicle dropped from the roof of the building and speared it. Simple, really, once you identify the hinge type. I did add a MaxxAir cover to it, though, so the lid wouldn't get speared again. The trailer has since found a home inside one of our stations.

NHCelt

The cover is an easy swap out if that is all you want to to do...but like others have said, there are different hinge types so take a picture of the hinge before you go to pick up the new one. I found my whole bathroom vent screen etc pretty much looked crappy about the time that the lid was cracking, so I replaced with a fantastic fan. If you decide to do that, it too is an easy swap out. Assuming that your roof is rubber and not tpo vinyl, the fan comes with putty tape to seal it to the roof. If your roof is tpo vinyl, don't use the grey putty tape as it is not compatible...there is a white putty tape for use with that. I would seal seams and screws with dicor and then cover with eternabond tape.

FWIW, there is no comparison between fans...I am going to replace the stock bathroom fan in mine as soon as I pick it up.

Celt