Disappointed

cbar405

I had heard all good reviews of Heartland products. Maybe we made a mistake by buying a used Elkridge. We knew it was not top of the line but thought we will try it before buying a new rig. It is only 40 degrees and we can't keep it warm, the oven is worthless as it is so small. We have had this for 4 months and are trying to find anything better about it than out 1997 Collins or 2001 Hitchhiker. Did we buy a bad one or is this standard?

danemayer

Hi cbar405,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We have some Elkridge owners who use their coach to go skiing in much colder weather, so perhaps yours is not operating at 100%. When buying used, it's always hard to know what's happened with the prior owner.

If you're having problems keeping the trailer warm at 40 (F) outside, perhaps you have a problem with the furnace that needs to be looked into. A pinched or disconnected duct could compromise the heating. Seal or window problems could cause excessive heat loss. You might want to spend $25-30 on an infrared thermal gun to try and figure out where the problems lies.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had heard all good reviews of Heartland products. Maybe we made a mistake by buying a used Elkridge. We knew it was not top of the line but thought we will try it before buying a new rig. It is only 40 degrees and we can't keep it warm, the oven is worthless as it is so small. We have had this for 4 months and are trying to find anything better about it than out 1997 Collins or 2001 Hitchhiker. Did we buy a bad one or is this standard?

Hello, from a fellow ElkRidge owner. Can you give us some more details, that might help us help you.

What year and model is your unit? Does it have a fireplace? Are you full-timing, or just taking it out on short trips?

Some things to be aware of, the ElkRidge line is not a 4-seasons coach. I'm guessing the Hitchhiker probably was, and geared towards fulltiming. The ElkRidge line is great for weekenders and few-week trips, and most comfortable 3-seasons. It has different construction techniques than the coaches geared for full timing.

We are currently using our rig full-time, and I have noticed a variety of things that differentiate it from the larger, full-time geared brands like Big Country, BigHorn, and Landmark. If full-timing was your expectation, than the ElkRidge does not really fit the bill -- though it can be done, with compromises.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific concerns or questions, I'll try to help based on our experiences.

Erika

Crumgater

We also have an Elkridge and we've spent up to a week in it during freezing conditions. Luckily plugged in, with an oil-filled radiator-style space heater going full time. The radiator kept the RV above 60F on low with temps in the 20's... and a stiff wind.... we had already winterized all the water lines, though. We were just using it as an extra bedroom during the holidays.

When it's ~40F outside, the furnace keeps us toasty warm, but it will burn through the propane pretty quick (and drain the battery, too, if you're not plugged in). I think it might be sized and insulated for maybe a week at those temps - using both tanks. Have you checked air flows at all the vents? There have been reports of some vents being blocked, or the duct work coming loose in the under-belly...

We have a "Mr heater" portable propane heater to augment the furnace during the day. It runs quieter than the furnace, too. It will run on low for about 4 hours on a small propane bottle.

I do agree with you on the SMALL oven. We use our oven ALL the time, and have plans to switch it out for the next larger size - it will fit in the same cut-out, but we'll lose the bottom "cabinet" (not that you can fit much in that, anyway). Not sure who thought that itty bitty oven was a good idea... they put the larger ones in most all the other model lines... (except where there's NO propane oven, which doesn't work for us).

Otherwise, our Elkridge has been great for us (knock on wood)... bought it new 5 years ago and have taken it all over the NW. We're based in the Seattle area and have taken it over to Boise, Salt Lake City and down the OR Coast almost into CA. Dave is very handy, so we take care of most all issues ourselves, just like we do in the S&B House.

Hopefully we'll see you at one of the rally's - that's a GREAT place to learn more about Heartland, customer service, and some of the tweaks we can do ourselves to make these units fit what we do as individuals.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I agree with the others that the Elkridge is not the best choice for winter use . . .

That's not to say that you can't use it in the winter . . . you just have to operate differently!

We have a Prowler (sister to the Elkridge) and we knew up front that it isn't the best trailer for freezing temps.

When we use it in the cold, we carry water in jugs for cooking and drinking instead of using the plumbing, plus we use the campground facilities for showers and bathroom stuff (ie.- no boondocking in the winter - we don't have a generator).

In February when we go to Arizona to the Tucson HOC Rally, I won't dewinterize the trailer until we get to the final destination and will winterize it before we leave the rally site!

Your Elkridge is a great trailer . . . you just have to realize it's limitations and work around them.

cbar405

Thank you for the info on this....I will remember for the future. Yes we are full timing. Screwed up on the purchase and will not make the same mistake on the new purchase. I will be checking different manufacturers.