Travelling with Propane Appliances On

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I have never done this but have heard of people travelling with their fridges and even furnaces running. I was always concerned about a safety issue and it seems to me I've heard this is not a good thing to do. What do the manufacturers think of this practice, what are others ideas, is it OK?

bking

On longer trips (all day) we travel with the refrigerator running on LP. On shorter trips, we keep refrigerated items in an electric cooler hooked up to 12V in the basement. We turn the electric cooler on several hours before we leave to ensure it is cool when I load it. On real short trips, less than 2 hours, we cool the refrigerator using electric several hours before leaving, put the refrigerated items in it and shut it off right before leaving. We also keep a temperature guage in the refrigerator so we can check the temperature at any time.

We turn the furnace and water heater turned off while traveling.

phranc

We Pre-cool the night before leaving and put cold food in at start of trip and leave running when traveling.Exception being when coming home (sometimes).We put cold food with ice in a cooler..

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'll start running with the fridge on, trick is remembering to turn it off while fuelling up. Thanks for your replies.