Water leaking out of pin box opening and on corner??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK...never had anything like this before...any ideas??

We have some water that has been dripping off the corner of the cap on the doorside and now notice where water has dripped from the opening in the cap for the pin box. The roof seam was caulked this past summer...is it possible the washing machine connection could be leaking? Checked using the access panel in the closet...everything is dry. There is another panel at the bottom, but that requires removing the Washer and dryer.

What's really strange is that it's been below freezing for several days...day and night, and the water is dripping...would have thought if it was a roof leak it would be frozen in the cap...HELP!! :(

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When my washing machine leaked (in the front closet), it was from the distribution assembly at the top of the machine, under the cover. It was due to not winterizing it properly and the water froze and broke a channel in it. I realized it the same way...water dripping off the pin. Check the floor around the base of the machine for wetness. Really not difficult to replace it, if that's the culprit. It is what forced me to install a drain pan under it, though.

Another possibility is the short hose that runs along the door from the distribution assembly. Check that it hasn't come loose.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Since we have a 2013 Landmark which came with 5yr warranty on delamination issues caused by water intrusion we have to have it inspected every year to prove all seams and seals are good. Every year I report a water issue from pin box area and it is always found to be sealant that has failed do too exposure to weather. RV tech locates problematic seals and repairs and signs off on warranty and all is good again. Moral of my story here is that the sealant needs to be regularly looked and repaired. Some failures are very hard to see but a trained eye is the best way. So look for sealant issues all around front cap from bottom to top and back down the other side.

hoefler

I used 4" Dicor repair tape and went over the moldings that cover the transition from the caps to the roof, caulked the edges with self leveling caulk from Dicor, and have not had any issues in 6 years.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I used 4" Dicor repair tape and went over the moldings that cover the transition from the caps to the roof, caulked the edges with self leveling caulk from Dicor, and have not had any issues in 6 years.

Yep, seen and heard of others taking this approach and all having good success, just another way to "skin a cat."

Roller4tan

I noticed the same drips hours after a rain. I do have the washer hook ups but no washer. My water was coming in from the cap running lights. Even tho they have a rubber seal around them, the rubber became distorted from the sun and allowed water behind it. I pulled the lights out caulked around the hole and shoved the lights back in. End of drips.

aatauses

I had a similar issue--mine was coming in from the vertical seam where the cab hits the side---I also had some coming in from the horizontal seam at the bottom of the cap---used a water hose to find them and recaulkd and did not have an issue.
al
currently in AZ

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Thanks for all the suggestions....we will reseal the cap molding with Tape and self-leveling caulk and also check the lights at the top of the cap and seal them up too...just want to stop this before it causes and issues. Never had this issues with the Bighorn, even after six years of full timing in it...guess we were really lucky.

I do think it has to do with rain and not the washer, as we can find no evidence of any type of leak behind the washer...

rxbristol

I noticed the same drips hours after a rain. I do have the washer hook ups but no washer. My water was coming in from the cap running lights. Even tho they have a rubber seal around them, the rubber became distorted from the sun and allowed water behind it. I pulled the lights out caulked around the hole and shoved the lights back in. End of drips.

Thank you Roller4tan. I also had a water leak running down the cap seam and exiting at the pin. I sealed everything and thought I had it fixed, but noticed a leak again. I checked the top front lights and sure enough one was slightly popped out with a warped seal. I used butyl to seal the lights. I think I will order new light seals.

Rex