Traveling Alone?

flamingknitter

I am wondering if anyone on the forum travels alone? I will be traveling solo most of the time and am concerned about what to do when you get there. Any hints or tricks for maneuvering into campsites or moving sliders in and out?

Thanks in advance,

Marybeth Laguna

Admin: Okay, I managed this alright - badly. Sorry Marybeth. was just trying to get it into a better spot for you. Below is a post from Smokeybare that I lost when I did the thread merge wrong.

Hello,

SmokeyBare has just posted in the Sundance - General Discussions forum of Heartland Owners Forum under the title of Traveling Alone?.

This thread is located at //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5768

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Marybeath,

I have and will again this year travel alone for a spell. My Bride is once again traveling to our daughters for Grandma duties.

My suggestions for maneuvering the RV into a back in site is to get out of the vehicle and look things over... even if you need to do this several times. I also attempt to back in, turning into the site... so I can see the RV side as it makes the turn... looking out the left (drivers side) window as I back. I watch the placement of the wheels on the RV as I back... having learned where they need to be before I swing the steering wheel and make the turn.

Knowing the distance your slide out rooms take... using an arm's length to help measure from trees or posts sticking up... helps you know the slide room will not be bumping into things.

Beyond that... Practice... Practice... Practice... backing up is the only answer to feeling comfortable by your self.

If all else fails... ask for a helping hand. Many campgrounds will have someone that could be your eyes behind the RV. Maybe have two portable radio's on hand for those occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
During the winter, get to where you are going BEFORE it gets dark. 9 PM is not a good time to introduce your trailer to Mr Oak Tree. Stage your stuff to be found easily and installed quickly. Put it in the same place each time. Nothing like looking for your sewer hose in the middle of a thunderstorm. With luck, you'll have a pull through site. Backing can be a bear. Do the best you can and don't worry about what other people think. You probably won't ever see them again.Obscene gestures on your part are permitted AFTER you get finished. Don't count on any help. If you can't do it by yourself...then, you got no business being on the road alone.

You can get propane at the Flying J...and in most towns right off the freeway. Take time for a lunch and get your bottles filled during the day. You save money if you get them filled anywhere but the campground you are staying at. It's nearly $30 to get a 7 gallon tank filled at my current campground...and $18 at the local propane vendor. Buy your ice, food, snacks during the day. Once you get your trailer setup and locked down for the night...stay in it. Get yourself a dog. Nothing like the sound of a bullmastiff growling to discourage after hours visitors. Teach him how to hit the door with his chest and make the door bulge in it's frame. I can almost guarantee you that no one will touch your door night or day.

No your slideouts DO NOT have to be extended for you to use your trailer. It's inconvenient...but, it ain't a requirement. If the weather is really bad, I usually retract them. It makes for a more streamlined appearance when they find your coach impaled on a large sequoia, like a javelin, after a tornado.

Bite the bullet...spend a couple of bucks and get yourself some good flashlights and batteries. Keep one in the truck with 1/2 the batteries the other inside the door of the trailer with the other 1/2. If you are feeling froggie...buy one more and keep it in the basement along with a $10 Walmart toolkit. Hit the dollar table at Harbor Freight. Load up on cheap screwdrivers, pliers, vicegrips, channelock knock-offs...that way when you drive off and leave them on the picnic bench at your last RV park..you won't lose a lot.

If you are in trouble, find the guy with the sorriest rattiest trailer around..he'll be the first one to give you a hand (I've seen this one personally multiple times. God Bless 'em..misery does love company)...forget the guy in the $300K bus conversion..he's watching TV and wouldn't help anyway. Besides, he just got into an argument with the park owner over the owners refusal to rewire the cable tv for his site, cause he got black bars on channel 3.

The guy in the ratty trailer will do a brakejob and a wheelbearing repack for $15 and a 6 pack. Never underestimate people like him. They usually have the least and give the most. I've found this out much to my shame.I have traveled alone for most of the last 10 years all over the country.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Lefty:
Thanks for the early morning smile. God loves children, drunks, old Jarheads and curmudgeons. Don't ever change and if we ever cross paths, would love to tip a few with ya.

Marybeth:
There is not a thing more I could add to Lefty's post. Very sage advice.
Fred

flamingknitter

Wow!! Thanks so much for the help. I know I can do this - but Lefty hit the nail on the head when he said that I would never see most of those people in the park ever again. I worry too much about doing it perfectly. Good points as far as night time safety and disposable tools as well. I have good tools but they were my husbands and I'm not ready to lose those yet. Thanks for reminding me to keep my sense of humor and just do it.

Marybeth

jbeletti

Marybeth,

I'm sure getting to Branson this June is not in the cards for you but we'd love to see you at a Heartland Rally. I see you are in Sacramento. Consider speaking with Deb (slmayor), our Northern California Chapter Leader. She has put on a Spring Rally already this year and I am sure she is planning more.

Anyway, coming to a Heartland rally will be a great way for you to learn much more about your RV and RVing. And you're be among family :)

Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Wow!! Thanks so much for the help. I know I can do this - but Lefty hit the nail on the head when he said that I would never see most of those people in the park ever again. I worry too much about doing it perfectly. Good points as far as night time safety and disposable tools as well. I have good tools but they were my husbands and I'm not ready to lose those yet. Thanks for reminding me to keep my sense of humor and just do it.

Marybeth

You are quite capable of doing a solo gig. Believe me, a couple of these, and you will give the phrase "independent woman" A WHOLE NEW meaning.

One last thought, make sure you have emergency road service on that trailer, it covers the truck too. Best $80 or so that you will ever spend. Cheap insurance.

Jimmyt5

Lefty:
Thanks for the early morning smile. God loves children, drunks, old Jarheads and curmudgeons. Don't ever change and if we ever cross paths, would love to tip a few with ya.

Fred here is one for a early morning smile.
A Marine and a sailor were sitting in a bar one day arguing over which was the superior service.
After a swig of beer the Marine says, "Well, we had Iwo Jima."
Arching his eyebrows, the sailor replies, "We had the Battle of Midway."
"Not entirely true", responded the Marine. "Some of those pilots were Marines, in fact, Henderson Field on Guadalcanal was named after a Marine pilot killed at the Battle of Midway."
The sailor responds, "Point taken."
The Marine then says, "We Marines were born at Tunn Tavern!"
The sailor, nodding agreement, says, "But we had John Paul Jones."
The argument continued until the sailor comes up with what he thinks will end the discussion. With a flourish of finality he says......
"The Navy invented sex!"
The Marine replies, "That is true, but it was the Marines who introduced it to women."
:mad::mad:
JIm

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I did my last two years at NAS Whidby Island. I spent many a night at the CPO club tormenting sailors. But the best was right after Pres. Clinton was elected and instituted the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. There were several retired and active duty CPO's sitting at the bar watching this on the news. I looked down the bar and said, "Kinda gives Hot-Racking a whole new meaning, eh?" lol For those of you that were in the Navy or the Corps, you know what Hot-Racking means. One of my more memorable quips.
Fred

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
MaryBeth, I used to do a lot of camping with my husband but I was usually setting up and tearing down by myself while he was at work. You wouldn't believe how many offers of help I got from the men folk each and every time. I never needed any but I bet you will be beseiged with offers from folk who are chivalrous,,, lizzy

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hello Marybeth
You are in an area where you can take Dick Reed's RV Driving Course. My wife and I took it last year in October. Come to find out my wife is a better backer than I am. I back to fast and found out how to improve.

All of lefty's advise was good except
If you can't do it by yourself...then, you got no business being on the road alone.
That must be the bellhop in him talking. :eek: The one thing you can do is practice. A couple of things I learned/do. I take some short orange cones and set them up as a guide where I want the 5er placed. When backing pull up beyond your site. When you back start your turn HARD when your trailer bumper is at the edge of the site or cones. Go Slow. When the trailer has made the initial turn into the site turn your wheels hard the other way and as your trailer starts to come back around turn your wheels back and follow the trailer into the site. If you need to straiten it out quicker stop, pull forward to straiten the truck then begin backing again.

I like to get into a large empty parking lot on Sunday and practice with the cones. Park the trailer. Put cones around three sides. Pull out, take the rig around like your coming into the park and practice backing into the cone site. It is always easier to back from the left (drivers) side but you will find campgrounds or time when you must back from the passenger side, so practice it as well. Can't hurt.

As said above always check out the site before backing. Look on both sides, above for obsticles and things on the ground. If you need help do not be afraid to ask someone nearby. Most RVers would be glad to assist. If they are standing around looking, when you finish, go up to them and ask them for a beer or glass of wine. You provided the entertainment. I did and got a beer and had a good time talking to those that were watching.

FWIW

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hello Marybeth
If they are standing around looking, when you finish, go up to them and ask them for a beer or glass of wine. You provided the entertainment. I did and got a beer and had a good time talking to those that were watching.

I'll have to remember that one! :D:D:D:D:D:D