Key Largo Kitchen Backsplash Removal

dlw930

The DW wants to remove the original tile backsplash (shown below) and replace it with Smart Tile. I'm afraid I might damage the wallboard behind backsplash during removal. Has anyone tried this mod, and if so, what challenges did you encounter or suggestions do you have?
173368a62c872b679cd7e7bcefda8703.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

I just removed ours in our San Antonio (back splash looks just like yours) and the process did not remove any of the paper, but even if it did the new back splash would hide it. You'll be left with adhesive strip residue...again, no big deal because the new back splash will cover it. I just took my time and kept gently pulling, but it sill broke in a couple of pieces. I did have the microwave down at the time because I was installing a new outlet for an induction stove I installed.

This is were I will be ordering the new stuff from:

http://www.americantinceilings.com/inspiration/residential/backsplash.html

dlw930

I just removed ours in our San Antonio (back splash looks just like yours) and the process did not remove any of the paper, but even if it did the new back splash would hide it. You'll be left with adhesive strip residue...again, no big deal because the new back splash will cover it. I just took my time and kept gently pulling, but it sill broke in a couple of pieces. I did have the microwave down at the time because I was installing a new outlet for an induction stove I installed.

Thanks Rex. I'll take that as a green light for the project. We used some of the stamped tin looking plastic in our S&B. Looks good. This time we chose a tile look with the peel & stick material shown below. Going to use something similar in the Key Largo bathroom between the sink and medicine cabinet. Will we see you at the W TX rally in Quanah?

0fe99cfe8c0ef35de9c13e023cc49898.jpg

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Interested in this too...what about the metal trim that surrounds the tile...does it just pull off too??

rxbristol

Interested in this too...what about the metal trim that surrounds the tile...does it just pull off too??

We did not have a metal trim around ours.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rex. I'll take that as a green light for the project. We used some of the stamped tin looking plastic in our S&B. Looks good. This time we chose a tile look with the peel & stick material shown below. Going to use something similar in the Key Largo bathroom between the sink and medicine cabinet. Will we see you at the W TX rally in Quanah?

0fe99cfe8c0ef35de9c13e023cc49898.jpg

We should be there, David. It will be the first time with the new tires (Continental HTL2 Eco Plus, 235/75R17.5).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Rex, I think that's where we got our tin for our backsplash. Love it! I found a plastic edging at Lowes or Home Depot that finished the edge (located where they sell the faux tin backsplash). -- oops this pic doesn't show the edging.

37de35cda6b90fe08aa97e600d30d2cd.jpg

The pic makes it look bright and shiny, but it's more a brushed nickel finish.

Another pic with the edging:

f116b7a7563ec4ad86eaad76942236cf.jpg

rxbristol

Rex, I think that's where we got our tin for our backsplash. Love it! I found a plastic edging at Lowes or Home Depot that finished the edge (located where they sell the faux tin backsplash). -- oops this pic doesn't show the edging.

37de35cda6b90fe08aa97e600d30d2cd.jpg

The pic makes it look bright and shiny, but it's more a brushed nickel finish.

Another pic with the edging:

f116b7a7563ec4ad86eaad76942236cf.jpg

Very nice. Still love that stove/oven.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also added a tin back splash on our previous camper. Got it with trim pieces at Lowes. I haven't tackled removing the back splash on our current Key Largo but have really thought about it. BC backsplash.jpg