cutting it close on weight with truck

Thensley

I have a 15 chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the durmax diesel with Allison trans I just ordered a 3560 SS big country something has been on my mind for the past week and was wondering about the weight of it just wondering if I have a big enough truck to pull it and the pack items. This will be mostly weekend trips but a couple of weeks will be short distance Just wondering if it will be ok I should have thought about it more before ordering something that big but the other one I was looking at was the 3450 TS which is just 500 lbs less than the 3560 SS and 2' shorter

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The thing is, you need to know numbers.
Like what is the GVWR and RAWR as well as the GCWR of your Chevy and well as the actual loaded weight of the 3560 SS.
So at this point it's just a guess as to whether or not your truck will handle the load.
The 2015 Chevy has a pretty high load rating, but you should get the numbers.
Many people including myself have towed a trailer of that weight with 2500's and 250's. I have not heard of any problems doing so.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

The debate about truck size has always been around and always will remain. Your truck will pull that trailer. I'm from the school that follows the manufacturers posted limits. Your truck was built with a specific payload maximum number. Each trucks max is based on that trucks options. I doubt if your truck is over 2500 lb payload, but you need to know it. The 5th wheel will add a payload and will depend on how much stuff you have in the trailer, plus weight of water. About 8 lbs per gallon. As many will say, they know plenty of 2500 trucks towing big 5th wheels. They are most likely overloaded. I had a bag chair once that I had sat in many times. The tag said 150 lbs max capacity.. After a couple years, I sat down in it and it broke.. I don't buy those chairs any longer unless the tag says 250 lbs max. Same with my truck. I just wouldn't feel safe unless I'm within posted limits..

Dean-Pam

I understand your concern Thensley. I had a Sierra 2500HD with the duramax and pulled my 5er from VA to CA, visiting many states in between (MT, SD, WY, etc). All in all, it was a 11,000+ mile trip. I didn't have any issues and felt comfortable with the performance. I had the rig weighed at the Goshen National Rally this past year and found I was within 17 lbs of max payload on my rear tires...We are planning on a big trip to the Northwest and possibly into Canada next year and because I now know how close I was to max payload just purchased a Silverado 3500HD DRW with the duramax/Allison. It is up to each individual as to their comfort level when it comes to payload capacity. IMHO, there are a lot of folks on the road who are overloaded and have never had a problem. Good luck with your new rig and hope to see you at one of the upcoming Rally's.

TxCowboy

DW and I have a front spot in a nice RV park in the Coastal Bend area of south Texas. That means we get to see almost every combination of truck & trailer imaginable rolling into and out of this RV park.

It never ceases to amaze us how many rigs we see come rolling in with something clearly "not right". Lots of these are either that the tow vehicle looks to be overloaded (major squatting over the rear tires like you'd see with a 1500 hauling a Big Country) or the "Big V" when a travel trailer is too heavy for the bumper (the tow vehicle's front tires are lifted almost off the ground at the slightest bump in the road and the rear of the trailer is stuck up in the air).

So many people listen to the sale people and don't research/don't understand the towing information that is out there. Thank goodness we have some really experienced RVers on this Forum who have done such a great job clarifying all of that information.

avvidclif

I used the chevy website to do the calculations for the figures and close but will work. thanks for all the help

The problem is the website lists numbers for a generic truck. You need the numbers off of yours for accurate information. If you are that close get the numbers from your truck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Take a good look at 5th Wheel Street website. You need to base everything on your exact vehicle and the GVWR of the trailer to be sure.

At the top of their site it says "Providing important safety information for all RV owners."

But I've never been able to find their info on the gas trucks . . .

Seems they think that diesel trucks are the only ones out there.

lynndiwagoner

I towed my BC3650 thousands of miles with my 2005 2500HD but I had added airbags and 19.5" wheels and tires. It pulled it fine and the 19.5's were well within weight range. The problem was a feeling that the rig was "pushing" the truck around. I probably would have been fine with it but I just had a slight uneasy feeling as I could feel it pushing. I just bit the bullet and bought a good used 3500HD, DRW, and can tell you that the uneasy feeling has gone away. There is a big difference in the comfort level. I'm not real wild about the size of the new truck but I have learned to live with it. Good luck with your decision.

Rollin_Free

I have a 15 chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the durmax diesel with Allison trans I just ordered a 3560 SS big country something has been on my mind for the past week and was wondering about the weight of it just wondering if I have a big enough truck to pull it and the pack items. This will be mostly weekend trips but a couple of weeks will be short distance Just wondering if it will be ok I should have thought about it more before ordering something that big but the other one I was looking at was the 3450 TS which is just 500 lbs less than the 3560 SS and 2' shorter

I purchased the same truck thinking the payload was 2793lbs. however when I looked my specific payload it was down to 2214lbs.. That's a 579lb lost in payload (WHOW). According to this web site: https://www.couchsrvnation.com/heartland/fifth-wheel/big-country/3560ss1 the trailer has a GVWR of 16,000 lbs which is definitely within the TV tow specs. The hitch weigh however is 2,888 lbs. I think your gonna be over on payload.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
At the top of their site it says "Providing important safety information for all RV owners."

John, it's just one HL owner, David Gray, trying to help his fellow man. He did all the research, developed the site and apps. My understanding is that with all the gasoline trucks available there are far more variables that create a statistical nightmare.... But if you'd like to donate a large sum of money to the cause, I bet Dave would work on it, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John, it's just one HL owner, David Gray, trying to help his fellow man. He did all the research, developed the site and apps. My understanding is that with all the gasoline trucks available there are far more variables that create a statistical nightmare.... But if you'd like to donate a large sum of money to the cause, I bet Dave would work on it, lol!

When I win the Powerball Wednesday night . . . I'll buy that website . . . and probably a big monster dually diesel! :cool:

DW_Gray

John, here is the only page that has the gas trucks only for 2014. http://fifthwheelst.com/how_much_can_this_truck_tow_2014.html
Just use RV Tow Check on any vehicle and you have the answer you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. You're right. After completing 2014 year, I decided not to do that again. Maybe I should place a donation button on the site. ;)