Tow Capacity of old TV

Does anyone know of a good web site that will tell me (or help me calculate) the tow capacity of my old TV? We're looking at a BH 3580RL, but I seriously doubt my old 1996 F250 PSD CC SB 4x4 RA 4.10 would be able to tow it.

jnbhobe

Combination weight would be the biggest concern. The 7.3 turbo and 4.10 gears sould be no problem.Drum brakes on the rear not quite as good as discs all around but souldn't be a problem.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
If you go to the Heartland home page, about half way down on the right is a link to a page that will give you the tow capacities of various tow vehicles.
Fred

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the TL guides only go back to 99, and my truck is 96. If I go with the 99 guide, a similar truck's capacity (although they don't list a 4.10 for 99?) would be 13,100. The 3580's dry weight is 11,930, plus whatever options. We travel with dry tanks, except for a little fresh water, so it'd be very close indeed. Hauling a back-end full of firewood would be out of the question tho! Jon's right tho, I need to look at CVWR too.

I'm not comfortable being so close to the limit, so it looks like we'll wait til we can afford that 350 I've been looking at! We really love that BH 3580, especially compared to the Wildcat we have now; like night and day.

Thanks again.

truknutt

Committed Member
Buffer,

Your best bet would be to find a sales brochure for 1996 and hopefully it has the numbers listed that you are looking for. I just happen to find one on Ebay that closes today at 7:05 P.M. (Pacific time zone).

I had a 1997 brochure here somewhere but can't locate it at this second. 1997 & 1998 F-250/350/450 were carry overs as Ford prepared for the "all new 1999 Super Duty". Hopefully the information will be there.

As I recall, the towing capacities listed in the factory brochures back then only referred to "Conventional" or bumper-towing. I may be mistaken (never wrong) again.

If I find that 1997 brochure I'll shout out to you.

The Nutt

truknutt

Committed Member
Buffer,

Me again. I didn't find that brochure but I did find a link to the 1996 owner's manual. (The end product will end up being a PDF file by the way.)

On the left under "Non-Subscription Resources", click on "OWNER's GUIDES".
Scroll down and click on the appropriate year..lucky you it stops at 1996!
Click on F-250 under "VEHICLE.
The only Guide available is the Owner's Guide (1st Printing)
Click on "View Content".

PDF page 242 (hardcopy page 240) has the Chart for the Crewcab F-250 4x4 Auto w/4:10s; unfortunately I cannot find listings for the 7.3 PSD in any of the charts, just the gas motors. Did they publish a separate owner's manual for the PSDs?

For what it's worth the 7.5 liter/460 is listed as Max GCWR: 18,500 & Max trailer weight as 12,500. These are conventional towing specs though.

Maybe someone can chime in using these numbers.

Sorry if I've wasted everyone's time.