RV Show should of stayed home

rjr6150

Attended the RV Expo in Grand Island, NE. today. Unfortunaly they had a new 2016 LM Newport. Kathy fell in love with the floor plan. Staying the night to see how sharp their pencil is.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I assume it is Rich & Sons RV. I purchased my Elkridge and Silverado through them and they have given me excellent service. Their service department has been very punctual on all warranty needs and are very willing to answer questions over the phone.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That is why we don't go to the RV shows . . . because we always see something we want, but don't already have!

We just bought a new 5th-wheel 8 months ago . . . don't need to be tempted to buy another one so soon!

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

rxbristol

I'm finding the new RVs, nicer than the one I currently own, are getting too heavy for my F-350 to pull...that helps a lot from getting too interested.

sengli

We love to go and see whats new at RV shows. But the prices seem to have taken huge leaps in the last few years. I understand things naturally go up, but the pricing on alot of the rigs we like to look at has jumped $20K since we bought ours three years ago. So that keeps us from getting too excited. And most of the dealers, all say the same thing, basically they dont want your trade. We have heard so many times that there is a glut of fifth wheel used rigs, so they dont want ours, except at wholesale trade value.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
When we bought our current rig our sales rep mentioned the same thing, too many used 5th wheels out there. He also mentioned that many of the used rigs out there were only used for less than a year before they are traded in for something different. He made it sound to me that the uneducated first time buyers, the indecisive, and those who can afford to get a new rig every year are hurting the trade in market for everyone else.

TxCowboy

If you are in the Texas or Louisiana area, there are a ton of about every kind of used RV you can think of. During the oil boom over the past couple of years, RV parks dedicated to supporting the mobile oil field workers sprung up all over the place and the oil field folks needed a place to live. Now with the decline in oil production, lots of those used and abused RVs are on the market and there is little to no demand for them.

GOTTOYS

We love to go and see whats new at RV shows. But the prices seem to have taken huge leaps in the last few years. I understand things naturally go up, but the pricing on alot of the rigs we like to look at has jumped $20K since we bought ours three years ago. So that keeps us from getting too excited. And most of the dealers, all say the same thing, basically they dont want your trade. We have heard so many times that there is a glut of fifth wheel used rigs, so they dont want ours, except at wholesale trade value.
Same problem I've had. Either they don't want it at all or they offer nothing for it. I guess I can understand their position. I tried to sell it myself and didn't get a single call about it in 2 months. Moral of story: Buy everything you think you might want the first time around because unless you are willing to give it away, you're going to be stuck with it...Don

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you are in the Texas or Louisiana area, there are a ton of about every kind of used RV you can think of. During the oil boom over the past couple of years, RV parks dedicated to supporting the mobile oil field workers sprung up all over the place and the oil field folks needed a place to live. Now with the decline in oil production, lots of those used and abused RVs are on the market and there is little to no demand for them.

I wouldn't be looking in the south Louisiana for any used rigs. Just in swla alone we have over $15 B yes billion in construction projects just starting out. Even the Rv parks are full here and are commanding over $750 month and these aren't nice places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner sold the second day it was on the dealer's lot after we traded it in . . .

GOTTOYS

Our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner sold the second day it was on the dealer's lot after we traded it in . . .
Units like that seem to sell anywhere, but try selling a mid to upper range, fifth wheel that's only a few years old. Dealer lots are full of them everywhere I've looked. One of our local dealers must have 100 of them. They don't even bother to clean them up. Just leave them parked in a muddy field next to the dealership...Don

rxbristol

I wouldn't be looking in the south Louisiana for any used rigs. Just in swla alone we have over $15 B yes billion in construction projects just starting out. Even the Rv parks are full here and are commanding over $750 month and these aren't nice places.

What's going on down there? Why so much building?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
What's going on down there? Why so much building?

Four LNG export facilities going up, sasol is putting in an ethane cracker expansion and that alone is 8.2 billion, ppg/axiall is putting in some sort of G 2 L plant (someone else just came online with one) and a Chinese plastics company is putting in a plant and according to the press release it was "only" going to be 1.2 billion. LNG is huge around here right now. The area is expecting so many workers the 5 parish area did an economic study and one of the things they looked at was housing and taking into count the current inventory of single and multi family options we are 10,000 units short. There have only been 3 man camps approved out of 20-30 presented and only one is partially ready to occupy. This is steadily becoming the Bakken of the south.

Forgot to add that our five parish area has not seen any economic turndown rest of the country has the last 8 years. Rest of south Louisiana is suffering now due to price of oil but it has not stopped anything here.

Kbvols

We went to RV show in Indy today and was really disappointed. There was only 1 Big Country, 2 Sundance and 1 Torque in the Heartland 5th wheel line up. Was hoping to see some Big Horns and perhaps a Landmark or two...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Attended the RV Expo in Grand Island, NE. today. Unfortunaly they had a new 2016 LM Newport. Kathy fell in love with the floor plan. Staying the night to see how sharp their pencil is.

Uh oh! Wishing you all the best in negotiations Randy.

kkamshop

We went to RV show in Indy today and was really disappointed. There was only 1 Big Country, 2 Sundance and 1 Torque in the Heartland 5th wheel line up. Was hoping to see some Big Horns and perhaps a Landmark or two...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would think Indy would be a good show, but it gets worse every year, few dealers and 90% entry trailers or motorhomes...

jnbhobe

Was the same in Pittsburgh but there were 2 BH, 3 Montanas and an Alpine and rows and rows of entry level stuff.