New oakmont city water flowing into fresh water tank???

Rschremp

Can't find why with city water connected our freshwater tank is filling up???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjr6150

Either the Anderson valve is malfunctioning or your backflow built in valve on the 12 volt water pump is allowing H2O to flow back into the fresh water tank. My guess would be the water pump.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What do you have the Anderson Valve set on ?
60cf0f1af7933529a169eb7d202e6417.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I believe if your fresh tank fills from your city water connection you must have a value somewhere to choose tank or the coach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I do not have a selector or this set up

The water is flowing backwards through the water pump. The pump has a built in check-valve of sorts to prevent that, but if it fails or crud gets stuck inside, the fresh tank will fill up when connected to city water.

If you're not using a pressure regulator, high water pressure could be part of the problem.

You can find a more complete explanation of this with illustrations, beginning on page 10 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide. Here's a link to the folder. A new pump should fix the problem (other than having a pressure regulator). You might also want to consider adding an inline check valve on one side of the pump. I prefer the output side.

Rschremp

I believe the pump is the problem as I can't select only fill the fresh or attach city. I use a pressure regulator at the faucet

farside291

Try tapping on the pump head and see if the backflow stops. Of course disconnect the line and turn down the water pressure so if it doesn't fix it you won't flood your basement. Even if it does fix it, it is only temporary and the problem will return. New pump was shipped to me by Heartland under warranty.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
The water is flowing backwards through the water pump. The pump has a built in check-valve of sorts to prevent that, but if it fails or crud gets stuck inside, the fresh tank will fill up when connected to city water.

If you're not using a pressure regulator, high water pressure could be part of the problem.

You can find a more complete explanation of this with illustrations, beginning on page 10 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide. Here's a link to the folder. A new pump should fix the problem (other than having a pressure regulator). You might also want to consider adding an inline check valve on one side of the pump. I prefer the output side.

We are having this issue now. We do have a pressure regulator so we know it is not that. I ordered the check valve and that will get to us tomorrow. Is there anyway to rebuild these pumps? And this may sound dumb but when installing the check valve the outlet would be the one on the backside? not the one with the bypass shutoff valve? Thank you for your original response to this thread it saved me a lot of time and trouble shooting was simple.

justafordguy

I believe your Oakmont has the standard gravity fill system like my Gateway. If so the same thing happened to mine. It was the check valve in the pump that went bad. I ended up installing a Shark Bite brand inline check valve between the pump and tank. Took less than 5 minutes and no more problem. ;)

danemayer

We are having this issue now. We do have a pressure regulator so we know it is not that. I ordered the check valve and that will get to us tomorrow. Is there anyway to rebuild these pumps? And this may sound dumb but when installing the check valve the outlet would be the one on the backside? not the one with the bypass shutoff valve? Thank you for your original response to this thread it saved me a lot of time and trouble shooting was simple.

The suction or input side of the pump has a clear plastic filter bowl. That's the side to install the check valve. The check valve should have an arrow indicating direction of water flow, which you would want to point toward the pump.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Good to know. I didn't think to put it on the tank side. I ordered a check valve from Amazon which will be here tomorrow. Heartland is shipping me a new pump but I wont get that till next month. They are sending it to an RV park in TX we plan on staying at and no charge even though we are out of warranty. Not a spendy part but I appreciate it just the same.