Oven pilot light won't light.

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014 with a Magic Chef oven. I can't get the pilot to light in the oven. I have only used the oven a few times over the years but I use the range top every day. I lit one on the burners on the range top to make sure gas was getting to the range. I turned the knob and held it in while using a long match to try to light the pilot. I tried several times but no luck. Any suggestions?

danemayer

If you're getting any gas flow through the feed tube, it should light from the match. If it goes out when you release the knob, usually that means the thermocouple is not sensing the heat/sending its signal to keep the gas valve open.

You might need to clean the gas feed tube opening and make sure the thermocouple is close enough to the flame.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We always had trouble lighting ours, in our New Vision. It would light and then go out when I let go of the knob. Sometimes it took so long I'd give up. I changed the thermocouple and still had the same problem. I would try for ever and give up then a few minutes later DW would try and it would light right up... What gives ???. Our fix was to trade it in on a Landmark 365 :cool:
We also use a long bic lighter instead of a match.

MTPockets

June always has trouble getting the oven to light, but I always get it; the match/lighter has to be placed at just the right spot to warm up the thermocouple.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you have a high intensity source of heat like a butane lighter or plumbing torch, super heat the thermocouple while holding in the pilot light knob to burn off any dirty residue and "trick" it to stay lit.
I've seen it done on a residential stove and have done so myself on my LP space heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I hold my pilot knob in for a full minute BEFORE even trying to use a flame to light the pilot. It can take an AWFUL long time to get good gas flow to the pilot orifice.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That sounds like a good way to loose some eye brows.

My pilot would always light right up but once you let go of the knob it would go out. Meaning the thurmocopler wasn't getting hot enough to keep the gas on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dbbls59

After you have been holding the flame to the pilot for a while and it still does not light, try turning the oven on. My oven will usually light when I do this.

Crumgater

Me too - I use a long-lighter (not a match).... hold it right at the thermocouple, and if it doesn't lite with the button pushed in within 10 seconds (which should be enough to heat the valve up enough to open it), I move the dial to 350 degrees... and once the whooosh of gas fills the main burner and I see flames, I get my hand the heck out of the way. :)

TXTiger

Thanks for all your suggestions. To answer your question, no it does not light and them go out. It just won't light at all. I did try moving the knob to 350 and still nothing. I will give it another try in the morning using some of the suggestions here such as pushing in the knob and waiting about 15 to 30 sec. before trying to light. I think I will get a long Bic butane lighter too. Will keep you posted.