Loaded weight for prowler 28prls?

Can anyone give me a rough idea as to what the typical weight would be on these travel trailers? I know everyone will be different but just looking for some guidance.
We bought a ntu 28prls and the difference between the dry weight( 7493) and the gvrw(10,160) seem huge. I know the dry weights are a lies but I am surprised by spread between the two. I know I won't be bringing 2500 lbs worth of gear and water but didn't know what the actual weight was when these came out there door.
I am not worried about the tow vehicle since we will be buying a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab to tow this with but I am wondering what size weight distributing hitch to get. I was thinking that something in the 12,000 lbs range would be ideal. The trailer is about 100km away at the dealers and I would like to have a suitable hitch when I go to pick it up in the spring.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
From heartlands web site:

GVWR 9,000 lbs

Dry Weight 6,850 lbs

Hitch Weight 726 lbs

Carry Capacity 2,100 lbs

I would bet on lessor carry capacity and it does not take long to add weight. Of course it depends on the year too I believe and you did not give one.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is a 2011 and I am guessing from the discrepancies between the weights you gave and what I posted there must have been a change in construction between the years.
Mine is aluminum sided so I assume (yea were all know what that means) that the numbers you posted were for a fiberglass or composite sided one. Just guessing based on the dry weights.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I cannot help you with the leveling sway hitch but I would recommend a heavy duty ball hitch. We have a solid steel 6k hitch from when we had our TT with a heavy duty ball. The difference in what we have compared to many is the sleeve that fits in your receiver is not hollow but solid. I cannot remember who make it but can look in the morning for you if you are interested.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The new bumper pull Prowlers have the aluminum siding while the 5th-wheelers are fiberglass . . .

I'm not sure when Heartland bought the Prowler line, but the 2011 might have been before then.

I think Keystone owned them before Heartland bought the Prowler line.

Anyway, as far as weight is concerned . . . a full tank of water can weigh in around 900+ pounds!

And to find out the actual weight of the trailer when it left the factory (but before any dealer add-ons), look for a yellow sticking on the entrance door jam!

It should be posted there.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Their will be a sticker on the ODS towards the front that tells you what the GVWR is. If you have the VIN#...call HL service and they can tell what it is. BTW, the unloaded weight is a non-starter. Only the GVWR is what you need to be concerned with. As far as a truck...for the $$$ difference...get a 1 tn now. That way you don't have to buy a new truck if in a few years you want a bigger trailer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Can anyone give me a rough idea as to what the typical weight would be on these travel trailers? I know everyone will be different but just looking for some guidance.
We bought a ntu 28prls and the difference between the dry weight( 7493) and the gvrw(10,160) seem huge. I know the dry weights are a lies but I am surprised by spread between the two. I know I won't be bringing 2500 lbs worth of gear and water but didn't know what the actual weight was when these came out there door.
I am not worried about the tow vehicle since we will be buying a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab to tow this with but I am wondering what size weight distributing hitch to get. I was thinking that something in the 12,000 lbs range would be ideal. The trailer is about 100km away at the dealers and I would like to have a suitable hitch when I go to pick it up in the spring.

So . . . what did you wind up doing for a WD setup?

My Prowler is a 2014 28RLS it is a bumper tow (not a 5th wheel) and the unloaded weight is 6558. I tow it with a 2013 Ford F150 V6 with EcoBoost that has a gross towing capacity of 9600 lbs. I generally assume around 1000 pounds of stuff and water/waste in the tank. We use the Equalizer 15,000 pound weight distribution hitch system and have towed up and down the eastern seaboard without difficulty.

I love my Prowler - we used it to snowbird this winter in Florida and it has plenty of storage room. :)

There is a sticker on the driver's side up near the front of the trailer that shows me all the weights. So if your tanks are all full, etc.

danemayer

My Prowler is a 2014 28RLS it is a bumper tow (not a 5th wheel) and the unloaded weight is 6558. I tow it with a 2013 Ford F150 V6 with EcoBoost that has a gross towing capacity of 9600 lbs. I generally assume around 1000 pounds of stuff and water/waste in the tank. We use the Equalizer 15,000 pound weight distribution hitch system and have towed up and down the eastern seaboard without difficulty.

I love my Prowler - we used it to snowbird this winter in Florida and it has plenty of storage room. :)

There is a sticker on the driver's side up near the front of the trailer that shows me all the weights. So if your tanks are all full, etc.
Hi TriciaR1970,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for sharing.